The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all

I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice and direction to solve a problem I am having.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional that is just over a year old. I believe I am having some issues with it.

The high e string slides off the fretboard very easily. With very little movement or pressure. Specifically when playing around the 2nd, 3rd fret the most. Higher up on the fretboard also, but not as noticeable. I do not feel this is normal. None of my other guitars do it, including an SG. I have also had a few friends play it and it happens to them also. One of them has a Les Paul which does not have the same issue.

My guitar also makes a lot of noise when I am not touching it.

Is there anybody who is familiar with these issues and the potential solutions to them or is this something I am just going to have to get used to?

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
I can't speak to the high E thing, but if you have too much noise when not muting under gain, either a) use less gain or b) mute when not playing. *any* guitar will hum or feedback under high gain if not muted.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
I have one guitar where the high E was noticeably closer to the edge of the fretboard than the low E. It kept sliding off too. Worse than you, the fret edges were a bit sharp and the string would get caught under the fret.

I filled in the fret ends with clear glue and got used to how that guitar was built. Doesn’t bother me anymore. You will get used to it.

You might have a bad ground. If your guitar stops humming when you touch it, sounds like a bad ground to me. Check continuity from the ground wire at the pickups to the bridge plate and the switch.

The second issue is warranty work. The first issue is character.

L

·
0 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum cobain.
I had the same problem in the past. I found it to be my technique rather than a problem with the set up.
I would tend 'pull off' my finger rather than lift it and even pull my finger onto the string instead of placing it down.
I hope that makes sense to you.
One option that I can think of is a new nut installed slightly (maybe one millimeter) more towards the low E side.
That may give you the extra space on the high e to avoid the slip off.

As for the hum. A humbucker guitar should not need shielding.
It may be a ground issue or as Budda stated, too much gain.
If you have a multi-meter, check for continuity from the bridge to some other ground point (back of the pot).

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
The other suggested it my be my environment. It is neither of these things as I have tried different cables and played it at other houses and it still buzzes when not touching any metal.
My humbucker guitars will do this as well, to varying degrees. It can change depending on location in my house, and from day to day. There are a lot of factors: pickups, wiring, RF interference to name a few. Do you have a single coil guitar to compare to?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
For the high E thing, it could just be a matter of the nut slot being slightly closer to the edge than average. A new nut could take care of it. Measure the distance from end to slot on that guitar vs e.g. your SG and see - even a mm or 2 could make a difference, especially if you're bending. Worst case that's $30 to fix (new bone nut).

Noise and hum cannot be diagnosed over the internet; could be normal at high gain like @Budda says, or could be ground, lack of shielding (doubtfull on a dual bucker axe), or even dirty power in the room, or poor filtering/aging caps on your amp.

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Do those frets slope down more towards the high E? It seems weird that under pressure it would snap over to the edge like that. Maybe the frets need a crowning?

You could push the dealer for a warrantee claim but it might be easier to find a good tech to take it to - they could at least fix the ground issue. Does this have the pots mounted on a circuit board?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts