The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's another of those "What should I do?" posts. You guys always have SOME good opinions lofu, so let's have em!

My band is three guys, two of us sing while we play, we're well established with decent repeat gigs, we all get along well. If I have any gripes, it's just getting bored of doing the same old songs. But we do OK as a band, so we don't NEED to change anything at all.

Then opportunity knocked... hence my question:

Should we hire a new lead singer to front our band?

There is a specific candidate in mind, I'm purposely not disclosing details for now because I want to see some initial reactions first. I may reveal more later, depending on your replies.

Ok..... GO!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Robboman...you seem bored with the status quo so change seems to be in order. Maybe a new singer will challenge your musical horizons a bit and spice up the band.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If he or she is a good front person then they actually can help the image of the band, and you have more time to play your instrument... Played with a few good front people, they know how to handle the audience.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
Really depends on the individual in my opinion.

A strong lead singer can be a huge asset to a band. It also allows you to enjoy playing your instruments more, not having so much of the vocal burden to carry.

Money is not important to me in that context, but if it is to you, I guess you have to know whether the venues you play will ante up for the extra body.

Does the person play any instruments at all?

Can they cover a variety of tones or are they a one trick pony?

Male or female? Sorry but this factor can have a huge impact on a band for a number of reasons some musical, some not.

There are lots of things to consider.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...on the one hand, if it ain't broken...!

on the other hand, its important to embrace life, and opportunity.

my best advice is to allow everyone a "trial period".

-dh

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Funny how gender came up quickly though I intentionally didn't specify.

Male or female? Sorry but this factor can have a huge impact on a band for a number of reasons some musical, some not.
For the record, she's female. I absolutely agree, Milkman. There's a lot to consider based on gender alone. For one thing...

yes but only if she's a real hotty....LOL
RIFF WRATH was joking I think, but it poses a valid question. How much does that part matter? I DON'T mean for personal fringe benefits. lofu I'm talking about image, crowd appeal, marketability. One of my goals is to get more, bigger and better gigs in the future.

Honestly, if you could choose between a beautiful girl with a average talent and the opposite, which would you choose?

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
Thanks all. Funny how gender came up quickly though I intentionally didn't specify.

For the record, she's female. I absolutely agree, Milkman. There's a lot to consider based on gender alone. For one thing...

RIFF WRATH was joking I think, but it poses a valid question. How much does that part matter? I DON'T mean for personal fringe benefits. lofu I'm talking about image, crowd appeal, marketability. One of my goals is to get more, bigger and better gigs in the future.

Honestly, if you could choose between a beautiful girl with a average talent and the opposite, which would you choose?

I would choose the opposite if by that you mean an average looking girl with a beautiful voice.

In a heartbeat.

Best choice for success? Depends on your definition of success.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i achieved a lifelong dream of working with girl singers in a recent band. it was an amazing experience.

as with men, women can have their downsides, however. rehearsals got canned in favour of "social engagements", and i eventually began to question the level of commitment.

still, i love a great female voice, and would definitely go down that road again, eyes wide open.

-dh

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I would choose the opposite if by that you mean an average looking girl with a beautiful voice.

In a heartbeat.

Best choice for success? Depends on your definition of success.
I agree whole-heartedly with Milkman, however - I've said this more than a few times - people hear with their eyes, not with thier ears.

It's sad, but true.

L

·
0 Posts
Way back I auditioned for a band with a female singer.
Very attractive. I left after two sessions because the guys
were too busy hitting on her instead of focusing on their
playing. I'd rather play with someone like a Janis Joplin.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly with Milkman, however - I've said this more than a few times - people hear with their eyes, not with thier ears.

It's sad, but true.
Tell me something I don't know.

But, buying into it is a bit like saying I know there's racism or sexism but what the heck can I do about it.

I guess perhaps that's being a bit melodramatic, but as I tend to listen with my ears it has always irked me that potentially brilliant artists have abandoned careers in music because they were not camera friendly or visually appealing.

So, as I implied in my previous post, if your definition of success is based on marketability, go with the eye candy. If you want to make better music, go with the more talented singer.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good feedback, thanks. I've never been in a band with a woman. All I know is that booking agents LOVE bands with good looking girl singers. It translates directly into $$$.

I agree that talent has to come first though. This particular singer happens to be both talented and attractive. I've seen her perform and I think she has great potential, but;

• She's younger than us
  • She has little working band experience
So lets have your thoughts on those two factors next please!

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
Good feedback, thanks. I've never been in a band with a woman. All I know is that booking agents LOVE bands with good looking girl singers. It translates directly into $$$.

I agree that talent has to come first though. This particular singer happens to be both talented and attractive. I've seen her perform and I think she has great potential, but;

• She's younger than us
  • She has little working band experience
So lets have your thoughts on those two factors next please!
Both will require patience on your part and neither are gender specific. Working with people who have to be told things you take for granted can be frustrating at times, but in my opinion it's worth it if the oindividual has a positive attitude and is respectful of your experience.

It's a matter of stopping to think before assuming she knows what to do.

L

·
0 Posts
Age shouldn't matter (unless she's a minor).
As for experience, she'll gain that if she's
motivated and inspired.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
We've just added a woman to our band, she plays keyboards, flute and has an absolutely killer voice.

but the other thing she brought with her was years of experience.

That's the thing I'd be most worried about Rob. Are you ready to take on someone without experience?

And the band dynamic is going to change. Are you okay with that?

Adding a woman's voice can be an amazing jump for the band, but in my experience there are shitloads of women that think they can sing, cause they sing in the shower and in the car, or do the karaoke thing, so approach her exactly as you would if you were thinking of hiring a guy to front your band. The bottom line is that, no matter how great she might look, she better be able to deliver the goods when the lights come up.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Another Point of View

Well I’ve been following this thread with some interest. I’ve been hesitant to respond cause I don’t want to offend anyone, nor do I want you to think I’m offended cause I’m not. Sadly, the responses are not surprising. Kudos to Milkman and DH for standing up and saying it’s ultimately all about the music.

I understand perfectly that men do in fact hear with their eyes and it’s men to who buy the booze and make the bars their money. Not a problem. In the same vein when Rockstar Supernova was on I was well aware that no matter how great Storm and Dilana were, they were never making it to the end cause you just knew those guys didn’t want to be fronted by a woman. Good looking, talented or not. I have to ask, why?

Cheesy, acts like Celine Dion, Shania Twain, ect are HUGE sellers, I’m not disputing their talent at all. I do however dispute the talent of someone like Britteny Spears or Avril Lavigne who are all image to be exploited and very little talent. Big draws just the same. I have sympathize with Ann and Nancy Wilson who just got reamed when the 80’s came and record companies all of a sudden didn’t care about the music, but the image for their videos. Now there is a woman with Pipes. You know they took the videos of them and stretched the images so she wouldn’t appear so, ahem, stout? Now that’s a shame. Likewise Jann Arden has a great documentary called Jann takes Manhatten and the whole time record company exes keep telling her she’s great but she should lose weight. She’s talented and VERY funny to watch. It makes me yearn for a singer like Janis Joplin to come along and set people on their ear. I have High hopes for Amy Winhouse cause she’s different for the times. Sadly another train wreck waiting to happen.

What I do wonder is why it makes such a huge difference in a casual setting. I’ve posted about it before and to my dismay I have not been able to find anyone to get together with. I’ve posted ads, answered ads that seem taylor made for me, and when I respond with my e-mail address that obviously shows I’m a woman the correspondence stops. Why is that? I make it clear that I’m married and have a family and pose no threat in that area. There are no pictures so the way I look should not even factor into it. I have since given up and realised that I just have to make do with myself. I’ll record and harmonize with myself.. Again I have to ask why? Anyway, just another point of view.

Cheers!
SB

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Starbuck, thanks for your insightful comments.

I understand perfectly that men do in fact hear with their eyes and it’s men to who buy the booze and make the bars their money.
I agree that they 'hear with their eyes' to some extent, but not sure about the second part of this statement. Clearly there are WAY more men in gigging bands, doing 'male' material, but the crowd is 50/50. I think the bands that appeal more to women have a big advantage in getting the best gigs. That appeal can be increased through style, song choice and other factors, but one obvious way is to actually have a woman in the band! I believe that's the main reason that agents love female singers, it's more about appealing to both genders than having some hot chick in front just for guys to stare at. If you compare the personal music collections of women and men, you'll find more female artists in the woman's collection than the mens.

Here's a little story from personal experience. Way back when I auditioned and got into the lineup of a new all-male band made up of some very strong, experienced players. The key to this band was the singer/frontman. He was sort of mediocre as a guitarist and singer, but he LOOKED like a STAR. Like Brad Pitt only rock and roll. He was so good looking it was actually weird. Due to this he already had the backing of the largest booking agency around here, and a promise that as soon as he got a band together with rehearsed material, he would book the gigs (never mind hearing the band first).

In the same vein when Rockstar Supernova was on I was well aware that no matter how great Storm and Dilana were, they were never making it to the end cause you just knew those guys didn’t want to be fronted by a woman. Good looking, talented or not. I have to ask, why?
No idea, actually.. I would have gone with Storm! Look how well Supernova is doing these days as a band. :zzz: They made the wrong choice! But I think at that level they don't really need to have broad appeal. They were targeting the hardrock / metal / punk crowd and for an international act, that market is plenty big enough. Unlike a bar band that sometimes has to go from rock to country to pop, and always keep people dancing and drinking.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
If you compare the personal music collections of women and men, you'll find more female artists in the woman's collection than the mens.
Not this woman, I'll be the first to admit that I need to hear a pretty strong voice to be attracted to it, so I really don't have alot of females in my collection. (+truth be told I lean a bit toward the metal side of musical tastes) Although I do really enjoy a good singer songwriter and love Sheryl Crow even though I can't say she has the best of voices. But for Girl bands (except the Dixie Chicks, They rock!) not really for me.

Here's a little story from personal experience. Way back when I auditioned and got into the lineup of a new all-male band made up of some very strong, experienced players. The key to this band was the singer/frontman. He was sort of mediocre as a guitarist and singer, but he LOOKED like a STAR. Like Brad Pitt only rock and roll. He was so good looking it was actually weird. Due to this he already had the backing of the largest booking agency around here, and a promise that as soon as he got a band together with rehearsed material, he would book the gigs (never mind hearing the band first).
Now that makes me sad. Looks mean nothing and I admit that my line of thinking isn't like all women's

Look how well Supernova is doing these days as a band. :zzz: They made the wrong choice!.
No kidding, I have always called them Rockstar, Super No One! Never could take a show serious that called Gilby Clarke a legend! I always called him Izzy's replacement.

Anyway thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts