The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a job offer today..... pretty good too. But I'm not sure. Right now I'm the assistant manager of a retail store. Not a bad job but not the best. I don't hate my job but I also don't plan on staying for ever. It pays ok, full benitifs, good vacation and a nice bonus too. I've been there for almost five years now. The new job is something I think I would like. More stuff I know and like. It's a service manager/mechanic postion for a specialty construction company(large drilling rigs mostly). It pays a little bit more(not much really), full benifits, no weekends(maybe the odd saturday), company truck(gas paid for) after three months, 8-5 ever day no more stupid shifts every week, and the possibliity of a large bonus. Down sides are longer drive, less vaction time, maybe a lot of traveling(girlfriend is not a fan and I get burned out traveling a lot. I did alot before in my current job.) Also I know right now that my job is safe, I don't know about this new job but have been told not to worry. And what if I don't like it?? Then what?!? I'm just not sure what to do. The job is mine if I want it. My friend told me about it and wants me to take it. His dad is one of the bosses and really wants me to work for him. I got some thinking to do. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sounds like the jobs are even although the new one will be more fun for you. If I was in your shoes I will have to balance the new fun work with the security of where you are.
The breaker for me would be the traveling, if you don't like it then stay away.I did service work for years and spent enough time in the truck to last a lifetime!!

Last tip, on the surface things always will look better than they are..they are selling the position to you, this will change once you are there.. good or bad..
Do your homework and talk to your girl..
Good luck
Bev

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Missed one..

8-5 means at the job at that time, traveling is usally not included. That could be some long days.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I still don't know what to do. There could be long days and there might be a fair bit of travel. But some cool places like Germany. The boss said I'd get the truck right away so thats cool. The drive to work is actually not any farther but it's a drive into the city which I don't have to do now. They will also let me start April 1 so I get my bonus at my current job. I've thought about a job change before but when it's right in front of you it's a hard decision to make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts