The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm new here.

I've stumbled across this forum from time to time over the years searching for product advice but never spent much time here before.

I'm from Manitoba, about 2 hours outside Winnipeg.

I've been playing quite a long time. Mostly acoustic steel string flat top. Some classical. Some archtop with flatwounds. I play bass sometimes because there's often too many guitar players in a room and bass is a nice head space to be in.

Mostly singer-songwriter and instrumental stuff, some blues and I fake my way through jazz and wish I was better at it. I cut my playing teeth on '90s Sarah McLachlan, Ani Difranco, Stephen Fearing, and so on. The sound of a piezo pickup plugged straight into the board and played hard is still a happy place in my heart ;)

I've got a specific question for gear collectors that brings me around you can find it in the pedals folder but I'm looking forward to hanging around and seeing what all wisdom and experience I can learn from.

j

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Nice, welcome. I’m an early adopter around here, so though I switched to bass full time 3+ years ago, I still hang out here. As you probably saw, we have a fairly recently added bass section, feel free to chime in there too.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Welcome. Saskatchewan here, but travel to Ontario for the summer. Also into singer-songwriter and "faking jazz". I like alternating between acoustic and electric. And yeah, I will always grab the bass when there are too many guitars.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hi from Quebec area !
Acoustic fingerstyle devoted.
We all learn at least a bit from each other here I guess. ;-)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to be all eyes and ears in the bass folder that's definitely a skill I need to work on. This past week I bought a Yamaha BB234, the newer version without the switch. I didn't want to spend a million dollars but wanted something that will hold up 'til I'm an old fart. I rarely get rid of gear and some of the most amazing sounding older stuff I have was considered generic entry level when it was new. I play both bass and guitar through a no-name 'early 70s solid state PA head and a Traynor 4x10 cab when I feel like lugging stuff around. They sound killer but it's heavy. When I want something more mobile I have an early 80s Roland JC-55 which people used to laugh at but now lust over. Some people buy treadmills and elliptical machines to stay in shape. I own a sound system and amplifiers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts