The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm from Bathurst, NB. I'm in South Korea right now. So, I'm in the thick of it, the place that makes the most guitars in the world. You wouldn't believe the deals...but that's for another thread.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Welcome aboard. Did you go to BHS or ESN??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome!

I'd love to go to South Korea! Some of my favourite films have been made there.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to ESN. So, you're from Bathurst, Stratin2traynor?

Adam...By your avatar, let me guess: Oldboy?

(that long fight scene in the hall just before he enters the elevator...that was something. It must have been grueling for the actors)

There were tons of great movies made in South Korea in the last 5 to 7 years.

You might want to see 'Crying Fist', it's a boxing movie. Stars the same actor, Min-sik Choi, and one of my other favorite Korean actors, Seung-beom Ryu. It's great. I don't want to ruin it for you, but it's an interesting concept.

Oh, and I almost forgot...Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (stars Kang-ho Song, another of my favorites...He's the guy who's these movies: JSA, The Host, Milyang, Swiri) and Lady Vengeance...the two other movies in the same revenge movie trilogy Chan Woo Park's revenge trilogy. You must see those two if you liked Oldboy. Oh, and Memories of Murder is pretty good, too.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Adam...By your avatar, let me guess: Oldboy?

(that long fight scene in the hall just before he enters the elevator...that was something. It must have been grueling for the actors)

There were tons of great movies made in South Korea in the last 5 to 7 years.

You might want to see 'Crying Fist', it's a boxing movie. Stars the same actor, Min-sik Choi, and one of my other favorite Korean actors, Seung-beom Ryu. It's great. I don't want to ruin it for you, but it's an interesting concept.

Oh, and I almost forgot...Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (stars Kang-ho Song, another of my favorites...He's the guy who's these movies: JSA, The Host, Milyang, Swiri) and Lady Vengeance...the two other movies in the same revenge movie trilogy Chan Woo Park's revenge trilogy. You must see those two if you liked Oldboy. Oh, and Memories of Murder is pretty good, too.
Yeah I love Chan Woo Park's stuff. I'm a Cyborg but That's OK was kind of disappointing, but it looked really nice.

I'll check out Crying Fist if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Oui Oui. Went to Ecole St-Famille (since demolished - not because of me) then Monseigneur Leblanc (not sure if it's demolished or not but it should be - again, not because of me) and graduated from ESN in the...uh uhm...late 80's. But I am still 20ish at heart. lol

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oui Oui. Went to Ecole St-Famille (since demolished - not because of me) then Monseigneur Leblanc (not sure if it's demolished or not but it should be - again, not because of me) and graduated from ESN in the...uh uhm...late 80's. But I am still 20ish at heart. lol
Cool, me too, except I went to Place des Jeunes and graduated early 90's. Odds are we were in highs school together. You would have been a year or two, maybe three, ahead of me.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad is from up your way, Dalhousie NB. Welcome.
There used to be two girls from Dalhousie in my hometown here in Korea. I knew they were from northshore NB the moment I heard them talk. I've met quite a few people from all around Maritimes. I finally met my first real deal person from Bathurst last week here in Korea. What are the odds of that happening? There's like 20 000 people in Bathurst and I'm halfway around the world.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I love Chan Woo Park's stuff. I'm a Cyborg but That's OK was kind of disappointing, but it looked really nice.

I'll check out Crying Fist if I can find it.
I try to stay away from anything that involves that singer, Rain. Sure, he's good at what he does, I guess, but it's just not my thing. I didn't know it was directed by Chan Woo Park. I might have a look, then.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Welcome NB-SK! I've been to Bathurst many times but not lately. What was the name of that cool bar, the Bohemian?

:wave:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that was biggest bar in Bathurst. It's been torn down. Something else has been built on the plot.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Cool, me too, except I went to Place des Jeunes and graduated early 90's. Odds are we were in highs school together. You would have been a year or two, maybe three, ahead of me.
Small world. I was at ESN when they were building Place Des Jeunes. Did you have Louis Robichaud for any of the Sciences?? My favorite teacher. I kinda thought he was a dick at the time but he inadvertently taught me a lot about keeping my mouth shut unless I could back up what I was saying. Very smart man. Ton of respect for him now.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Small world. I was at ESN when they were building Place Des Jeunes. Did you have Louis Robichaud for any of the Sciences?? My favorite teacher. I kinda thought he was a dick at the time but he inadvertently taught me a lot about keeping my mouth shut unless I could back up what I was saying. Very smart man. Ton of respect for him now.

Was that the senator and former premier Robichaud?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes, of course. I know all the old science teachers relatively well.

True story:

First day in freshman Chemistry at university, the professor says, "Those of you who went to ESN, read the newspaper, I don't care, just be quiet and let me teach my class." Turns out Mr. Robichaud had been teaching us university level chemistry in, what was it, grade 11, right? I barely cracked open my book, or showed up to class for that matter, and got a good grade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts