The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have not posted here in awhile so I thought Id share some additions and observations of the past three weeks. First a disclaimer I dont buy new nor do I buy 3000 dollar guitars, being retired and a fixed income does that lol. I have played for since I was 10 but took a break because life got in the way, everyone kinda knows how that goes I think. In any case here she goes. Did some horse trading for these, or should I say guitars I had so no money changed hands and all were kijiji finds here in Alberta.

I picked up a 1986 MIJ fender strat with twin humbuckers and TBX tone knob, system three trem, in decent shape but plays like butter. E5 serial number black face headstock. I have always liked the mid 80's fenders that were made in Japan. I think this one was MSRP for 130000 yen back in the day, high quality stuff for sure.

Next was a 1996 Jackson JS 32R in a crimson metallic color. Reversed headstock dual humbucker beast. This also was an MIJ guitar ,see a theme lol. Floyd on this one, I really like the sound of these pick ups maybe flashbacks from my hair band days, not sure. Great little guitar, holds tune really well too.

Lastly lol, On a whim picked up a Indo made Kramer Baretta Special in vintage white the other day. No floyd, no locking nut, yeah to the purists its not a true Kramer but I liked the different look to it. Its a inexpensive guitar but I will say the build quality is damn good. It does have issues with staying in tune so ill try a new nut and some locking tuners first. The pickup is pretty darn good though IMHO. Its just a fun mess around guitar in my eyes.

With all this I also scored a Lab Series L5 amp, the copper faced one. 1979 build date on the speakers. Its a solid state that weights a ton lol. But holy cow what an amp guys. If you ever get the chance to play one or buy one I fully recommend it. 2 channels, One is clean the other does stuff thats like nothing I have ever heard. Pretty reasonable to get if you can find one. A real sleeper amp. I think Dave Simpson did a review on youtube with one, and of course it was BB Kings fav.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on these.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will.

Thank you.

Lorens

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’ve been interested in the baretta special as a project for a long time; they just never pop up used in my neck of the woods. I like the simplicity, so I’m sure it’s a fun guitar.

Can’t go wrong with MIJ quality from those eras either, some top quality stuff came from those factories.

You’ve had some great scores these past few weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been interested in the baretta special as a project for a long time; they just never pop up used in my neck of the woods. I like the simplicity, so I’m sure it’s a fun guitar.

Can’t go wrong with MIJ quality from those eras either, some top quality stuff came from those factories.

You’ve had some great scores these past few weeks.
Thanx I always keep my eyes open lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts