The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering on what type of a guitar I should purchase to expand my playing. I was thinking of a Baritone because of all the drop tunings I play, and I was also thinking of a Schecter Hellraiser or a Diamond series Baritone. But I have not fully decided yet. Could I possibly get some feed back of the best baritones you guys know of and price ranges? This would be greatly appreciated.:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
the only baritone that i've even heard of is the schecter, I think Ibanez also makes a baritone, and I do like my Ibanezes...:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard of a few Ibanez baritones, but they suprisingly dont sound that great to me. But then again, I will check them out one more time and see exactly what they sound like because last time I wasnt even really paying attention.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I could get some more feed back on this topic it would be very helpful. Because I have a spending limit of about $1200 and I want the best quality I can get for a very good price. ny information pertaining to this would be of great use.:rockon2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I played around with a Schecter diamond doubleneck (six/six baritone) on the weekend at Mother's in Edmonton. Pretty interesting and played/sounded good. 600 bucks, not bad. had a flame job that i didn't really dig, but whatever.

worth looking at though

·
Registered
72 Posts
I looked for a baritone about 6 months back - there's simply not a ton of selection. Ibanez Mushok signature, an Epi Les Paul baritone if I remember correctly, Fender Jaguar Bass VI or some such, a couple others...

Do a search on major retailer sites as has been suggested and go from there - there really aren't a whole lot of baritones currently in production right now to be discovered.

Depending how low you go with your tunings, just set up a standard guitar nicely and go fer it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think I saw that guitar at Mothers a couple days back. Wasnt the best looking...but interests me. My tunings are usually around the drop C or even around the Drop A area. Thats the Nile for you. So thats why I was looking at a Baritone. Better stability at drop tunings and I love the feel of them. But I will keep on looking around. Thanks for all the input.:rockon2:

·
Registered
93 Posts
yamaha used to make a few "drop-6) models. it was a 26" scale, which meant it would feel about the same as a strat scale. the factory tuning was B standard, i believe.

part of me wants to say that you could just as easily slap a set of .013's on a standard scale guitar and get the same effect, but a baritone scale would add clarity, which is pretty important when you're detuning.

edit: they still do make it
http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D60005%2526CTID%253D600002%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welladjusted said:
yamaha used to make a few "drop-6) models. it was a 26" scale, which meant it would feel about the same as a strat scale. the factory tuning was B standard, i believe.

part of me wants to say that you could just as easily slap a set of .013's on a standard scale guitar and get the same effect, but a baritone scale would add clarity, which is pretty important when you're detuning.
From what I've seen, their older 820 drop 6 model had better electronics than the new 520 drop 6 model. I could be wrong, though.

The 820's used to come up on ebay once in a while.

·
Registered
93 Posts
there was also a superstrat variation with a floyd rose type tremolo, if i recall.

i'm not into superstrats or floyds, but it looked pretty nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, that is one mean guitar. I dont need anything like that, plus it is a little out of my price range. But I have played the Yamahas and they are pretty sweet, personally I would have to agree that the 820 has better electronics. :rockon2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welladjusted said:

edit: they still do make it
http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D60005%2526CTID%253D600002%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html
I would have to agree that a Baritone would add tons of clairity. But mostly what I am wondering is if it is worth all the extra money to buy a Baritone? Like they have an amazing sustain at drop tunings and when you just put some low guage strings on, it becomes more...uncomfortable for me. Thats what I do right now and I dont like it that much. Well except for when I AM in the drop tunings, because then they are a little more slack. But even in Drop D they get to tight for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i suppose that any regular electric could be set-up for dropped tunings and be as comfortable as it would be in standard. lots of de-tuned pros do this: sevendust use off-the-shelf PRSi and gibsons as low as A#. I believe chevelle do the same, save a custom PRS baritone he has made for the last album.

it's pretty subjective, as i prefer the feel of a detuned regular-scale axe, but the tone of a dedicated baritone. clarity in low tunings also depends a fair bit on the amp you use and how you set it up. i've found that you don't need much gain for a detuned guitar to really growl, and boosted midrange gives it a lot of punch, whereas it beecomes very muddy with scooped mids and insane gain

1 - 19 of 19 Posts