The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi right now im planning to get a new guitar, im looking for a good guitar under $300 CAD preferably around 250.

right now one of my choices that im consider is Hamm HLS II which is around my price range, any guitars anyone can recommend for me to consider?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I absolutely love the new Squier Tele Thinlines and they are around that price new in Ontario. They do everything from roots rock to grunge easily.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you should go vintage :)

get an old department store budget vintage guitar. (Harmony, Silvertone ect..)

thats my opinion anyway

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well im planning to buy online right now so i only have what i can find

i dont mind having a used guitar even though if its a bit worn out, as long as its worth my money and sounds better than a less expensive new guitar

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
well im planning to buy online right now so i only have what i can find

i dont mind having a used guitar even though if its a bit worn out, as long as its worth my money and sounds better than a less expensive new guitar
Be careful buying online. I wouldn't recomend buying a guitar before you could actually play it and make sure that it feels right for you.

If you want to test drive and HLS II, e-mail me and I'll send one to you so you can try it.

Andy

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
The Godin Radiator, SD, Detour, and Exit 22 are great bang for the buck, and Canadian too. Any of them second hand might be just what you need, and maybe even under your price cap. Definately consider a used axe because lots of folks trade up then regret letting go of a great axe.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Ditto what Mooh said. I have both a Radiator and an Exit 22, both of which I got used via Craigslist. Great bargains and real players. Lots of people get restless and trade up for a costlier guitar, only to find (to thier chagrin) that they already had a great guitar and they let it go... if you can stand to buy used, there are definitely some solid deals to be had.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think test driving one of those Hamm guitars sounds cool.
I never heard of anyone making that kind of offer before.(nice job Andy!)
The reviews I hear of them are all pretty positive as well.

Locally we have a dealer who sells Johnson and Crafter guitars.
The Johnson strats go for $160 and have emg designed pickups in them.
They are good sounding/playing guitars for cheap but you have to pick thru them to find a nicely made one.
The Crafter electrics are pretty fair to middlin' guitars as well.
I bought one of their tele copies last year.
It needed a setup badly,but I'm into that so it wasn't a problem,and for $140
how could I go wrong?
Good luck in guitar shopping.
Eric

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Hey man, go for the test run. I don't see how you can turn that down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
I believe the guy from Fret City is a member of this forum.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Those two fret city axes... they look quite nice and I've been jonesing for an SG standard type... I like neck binding on an SG - without that it looks naked to me. The one thing which throws me off and has me wondering is the fact that both the SG and LP types have bodies made of alder rather than mahogany. Totally different sound, I'm guessing. I could see an SG made of walnut maybe, but alder? Wow, that's odd.

Not to say that it isn't put together well or doesn't sound great. I'm actually very curious as to what these babies feel and sound like. Anyone with any direct experience on these J & D guitars?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts