The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's my favorite time of year. The time of year that I can go buy a new guitar. :banana: But I'm not sure what I want. I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks playing one of the guys in my band new Fender American standard Strat. I love the way it plays but I'm not sold on the sound. Now don't get me wrong I like the sound of a strat but it doesn't have the fullness and punch of say, my LP. Amazing cleans out of it, way better than the LP but when I hit the OD pedal it's just lacking. I really like it but I'm afraid in the long run it may not be right for me. Any suggestions of guitars I should check out?? I look at so many I forget about alot. I'm looking to spend around $1500. Oh and no pointy guitars.

:rockon:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Rumble_b said:
Well it's my favorite time of year. The time of year that I can go buy a new guitar. :banana: But I'm not sure what I want. I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks playing one of the guys in my band new Fender American standard Strat. I love the way it plays but I'm not sold on the sound. Now don't get me wrong I like the sound of a strat but it doesn't have the fullness and punch of say, my LP. Amazing cleans out of it, way better than the LP but when I hit the OD pedal it's just lacking. I really like it but I'm afraid in the long run it may not be right for me. Any suggestions of guitars I should check out?? I look at so many I forget about alot. I'm looking to spend around $1500. Oh and no pointy guitars.

Strat should have some punch. It will never be as fat, though some can get a fat strat tone. Maybe play with pickups first?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well if you have $1500.00 to spend, why not get the best of both worlds with a nice PRS guitar? I've got a PRS-CE3 which gets the Strat type sounds and also a pretty nice Tele sound in addition to the Les Paul type HB sound. The great thing about PRS guitars is the tone control actually works. It's not either clarity or mud like most guitars. Whoops! Actually I was just looking at the 12th Fret website and it seems like most of their PRS guitars are over $2,000.00! :eek: If you want to go the PRS route I guess a better idea would be to check out the Buy and Sell or Ebay.

Rumble_b said:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fender makes lots of strat models with a humbucker in the bridge, get one of those. Then you can have the neck and middle single coil sounds which are the best ones anyways plus the full humbucker sound in the bridge. The American Deluxe models are nice. Well appointed and great playability. I think they are still in your range.

·
Registered
788 Posts
chesterb said:
Fender makes lots of strat models with a humbucker in the bridge, get one of those. Then you can have the neck and middle single coil sounds which are the best ones anyways plus the full humbucker sound in the bridge. The American Deluxe models are nice. Well appointed and great playability. I think they are still in your range.
+1 on the AM deluxe....killer guitars through a cranked tube amp:banana:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Buy an American Std Strat, buy a Clapton circuit board (about $100). It's an on board heavy mid overdrive (+25dB I think, something like that). Plug into a Marshall. Really kicks.
Your middle pot becomes a drive control btw.

I love the thing, I can go from nice clean Strat tones to LP type overdrive with the turn of a knob.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like you might enjoy something with different sounds compared to your LP, and a single coil guitar will have initial attack on the notes, as well as a clarity and clean shimmer, that you just can't get with HB's. So . . . you might like a properly-spec'd. guitar with SC's. Strats are always good, and you can look for models fine-tuned to your preferences. I have a CS Strat with Texas Specials that plays and sounds great, and because the Texas Special's are a bit higher output, they're fatter and overdrive well. (Although they're not preferred by players who like a more vintage sound.) Also, the previous suggestion on the Clapton circuit is a good one.

You might also look at Music Man guitars. I don't know what your favorite shop might be, but you're close to The Arts in Newmarket, who always have a good selection, including Music Man's. As long as you're not looking for a really full neck, MM offers great single-coil and P90 alternatives that play like a dream (not to mention HB-equipped guitars, and are right in your price range). P90's are fatter than a Strat-type SC, which you might like, but still have more single-coil character than a humbucker.

Good luck
Brian

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew you guys would get my mind working. The mid boost is a great idea and the HB one with the S-1 switching is pretty cool too. Also my girlfriend reminded me about my excuse for buying more guitars-different sounds. The Music man is a great idea. I can't belive I forgot about it. I spent about 30min playing a Axis Supersport with P90's at the Arts this summer and loved it. I'll have to check it out again. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hoser said:
tele with a lil 59er in the bridge.
Tele's are cool, but I've never been able to bond with one at all. I've played a lot, some for days(borrowed from friends) and I just couldn't bond with them. Oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts