The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first Greco and must say the build quality is right up there with a lot of Fender products i have seen. Its a SE-500 model, serial number starts with K81 so assuming its a 1981, natural colour, looks like a big steel trem block, great vintage neck, all in all a good player and good looking Strat type. I bought this in order to do a little project for myself. Thinking of painting it Fiesta red, maybe swapping the pickups, electronics etc.. although it does sound good to my old ears. Will post pics later.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Seems to have large nut, ain't it ? ;-)

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Great looking guitar! CONGRATS!!

Personally, I would leave it stock. I regret taking out the stock pickups and, worse yet, I sold them...*#*(.

My Greco was an '81 also.

ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great looking guitar! CONGRATS!!

Personally, I would leave it stock. I regret taking out the stock pickups and, worse yet, I sold them...*#*(.

My Greco was an '81 also.

ENJOY!
Thanks Dave. I dont know much about them so any info is greatly appreciated. My wife also told me to leave it alone as it is. Dont think it would hurt the re-sale value if i painted.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Nice. Not a Strat guy personally (like the Big Muff, they sound great when other people use them, but just don't work for me), but I have been keeping an eye out for a few models of Greco, but the right one has not come up yet.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. Not a Strat guy personally (like the Big Muff, they sound great when other people use them, but just don't work for me), but I have been keeping an eye out for a few models of Greco, but the right one has not come up yet.
Thanks and its my first venture into these. Will see down the road how they stand up.

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
They’re nice. I take Japanese pickups and sell them
Like a garage sale air hockey.

Today you can get excellent hand wound pickups for as little as $65 x 3. And then you’ll be dealing with a heavyweight champion. And switching the pots too.

It’s nice.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Very nice guitar. Did you get it from Spaceman? They had one for a good price. I forgot to try it about a month ago when we were visiting Ottawa (was in a hurry) and was angry about forgetting :(

Rock ON!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
These Greco`s are on par or superior to the Fenders of the time... The Greco`s have amazing reviews and have great resell value.

Painting it would affect resell value since lots of Greco lovers out there...

I agree on a pick up swap but keep the original for eventual selling point... Players/collectors like myself like these stock and stock guitars have a larger value even if you put an additional $200 of pups on the guitar.

Congrats on the guitar !!!

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
An eight screw pick guard. Not many made like today. Most are 11 screw. I'd notice because my Jimmie Vaughan Strat has an 8 screw guard.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice guitar. Did you get it from Spaceman? They had one for a good price. I forgot to try it about a month ago when we were visiting Ottawa (was in a hurry) and was angry about forgetting :(

Rock ON!
Its the same guitar but the guy took it off consignement and sold it to me as he is moving to Japan next week

1 - 20 of 34 Posts