The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey peeps!

Got tired of paying UPS brokerage and currency exchange buying stuff out of the US, so I hit Google looking for a Canadian forum to buy, sell and trade gear in and found this place... awsome! Some interesting threads here so I'll be looking forward to shootin' da shit as well as wheelin' and dealin'!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm from the east coast but have 3 siblings in Edmonton. Two have been there roughly 20 yrs and love it. I've never been there myself but from most reports it sounds like a great place to live.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bRian said:
Welcome to the forum, I'm from the east coast but have 3 siblings in Edmonton. Two have been there roughly 20 yrs and love it. I've never been there myself but from most reports it sounds like a great place to live.
Hey thanks man. Ya I like it here and decided this is where I want to settle. Was born in Kitchener and spent my early childhood in Burlington, but have been here ever since... I lived other places temporarily but they were just too expensive :wink:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I worked in a bodyshop in Brantford in the early 80's; Ed's Autobody. We used to go to some bars in Cambridge and Kitchener on the weekends. I can't remember the name of the joint in Kitchener but at the time I think it was the longest bar in the country.....and the feminena's, what a spot:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I can help you out with the bar. I've been there once with a friend and it was called Lulus. BTW whatever happened to that place? Welcome to the board Skunkworks.

bRian said:
I worked in a bodyshop in Brantford in the early 80's; Ed's Autobody. We used to go to some bars in Cambridge and Kitchener on the weekends. I can't remember the name of the joint in Kitchener but at the time I think it was the longest bar in the country.....and the feminena's, what a spot:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hi SkunkWorks! I am in Camrose and I go to the music stores in Edmonton now and then, especially L & M. I'll in fact go there on Saturday and see if they have any decent MIM Strats.

If you ever want to jam some blues and country, come down to Camrose on Wed nights, stop by at O'Shea's and play with us.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dolphinstreet said:
Hi SkunkWorks! I am in Camrose and I go to the music stores in Edmonton now and then, especially L & M. I'll in fact go there on Saturday and see if they have any decent MIM Strats.

If you ever want to jam some blues and country, come down to Camrose on Wed nights, stop by at O'Shea's and play with us.
Hey that sounds cool, thanks for the offer.

Ya I might even head down to L&M and/or Mother's today or tomorrow too... I need to take an acoustic back to Mother's for a refund that's developing a neck problem (this is the second one)... a word of warning to anyone reading this, watch out for G series Takamines in the Alberta climate, they all have S shaped necks because of a hump where the neck meets the body, but that's a whole other thread that should be started :wink:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Welcome aboard. What kind of music do you play? In a band? How old are you?

I'm an Edmonton gear head too so perhaps we can start swapping gear. JRoberts and I have already sold each other gear (great guy too).

TG

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
traynor_garnet said:
Welcome aboard. What kind of music do you play? In a band? How old are you?

I'm an Edmonton gear head too so perhaps we can start swapping gear. JRoberts and I have already sold each other gear (great guy too).

TG
I'm gettin' to be an old fart now (41) but the music I write, listen to and play is probably more of what you'd expect from someone in their 20s... pop punk, modern rock, nu metal and and alternative. Stuff Like Story Of The Year, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Cauterize (great band from Oshawa) and some stuff that's a bit harder and also a bit more pop than that stuff. I just really love the modern recordings and guitar tones of this new stuff which really showcases the actual tone of some of the nicest amps around (Soldano, Marshall, Bogner, Orange, Mesa) due to the fact that it's all close miced with little or no verb to color or muddy things up like the guitars in the 80s. Don't get me wrong, I'm a product of the 80s myself but I really can't listen to that stuff anymore because I detest most of the guitar sounds from back then which were way over processed. The tones on this modern stuff sounds like there's an amp right there in the room in front of you... very pure recordings.

Not in a band and really haven't been since high school. Got into writing and recording in my early 20s and really liked the total creative control that gave me... and I enjoy the whole aspect of producing and arranging probably even more than actually playing (which is probably also why most of my songs are also unfinished!).

I'm actually going to be looking for some gear as soon as I'm back to work soon (seasonal) and will start a thread in the gear trade area when I'm ready. Willl be looking for stuff like a Les Paul Standard Raw Power, PRS Custom, maybe another SG, Hellatone speakers from Avatar, Busrtbucker Pro pups, maybe a gray cloth Marshall 4x12, a pro quality mic pre, PRS HFS pickup, and maybe even a used Neumann U87 for starters :wink:

Now that I have my Soldano I'm kind of itching to jam which I haven't done for almost 2 decades, but like I said most guys my age probably want to play more classic stuff but I'm into the new stuff... and what young pups are going to want to jam with a 41 year old fart? :wink:

Oh and thanks everyone for the welcomes!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
webster said:
Hey brother....welcome :rockon2:
Thanks man. Where's Oaks?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the forums SkunkWorks.

I seriouskly need to get out West and check out the scene. There's so many kick-ass :rockon2: musicians out that way. Must be all the time spent indoors practicing in the winters :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
martianrebel said:
Welcome to the forums SkunkWorks.

I seriouskly need to get out West and check out the scene. There's so many kick-ass :rockon2: musicians out that way. Must be all the time spent indoors practicing in the winters :D
I've often thought that about Canada and musicians in general... alot of talent here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts