The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

New Fender Mexican Player Series

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  cboutilier 
#1 ·
As long as it plays good and feels good, I would take a strat with pau ferro board like the one on The Captain's guitar anytime.

#5 ·
Edit = what he ^ said, summarized below.

A dealer in the south US is reporting sending back half a large shipment of guitars over poorly cut nuts. All the ones he’s considering keeping have bad sharp fret ends, he’s trying to get a discount for the tech time to file them. Further, they’ve now gone to the small Asian pots instead of full size CTS, and several in the shipment don’t function properly....all of them don’t sweep as nicely as the CTS.

They did ‘upgrade’ all bass pickups to A5 instead of ceramic bar magnets.

That said, the ocean/maple Jaguar bass (PJ) is dead sexy. And the buttercream is getting all kinds of love, both P’s and J’s, over on talkbass, though many grumble that they only come with maple boards.

#7 ·
Edit = what he ^ said, summarized below.

A dealer in the south US is reporting sending back half a large shipment of guitars over poorly cut nuts. All the ones he’s considering keeping have bad sharp fret ends, he’s trying to get a discount for the tech time to file them. Further, they’ve now gone to the small Asian pots instead of full size CTS, and several in the shipment don’t function properly....all of them don’t sweep as nicely as the CTS.
Are you sure this was regarding Fender? I spend a lot of time on the ol' internetz and I've come to the conclusion that only Gibson can build that many bad guitars in one go.

Reactions: Frenchy99
#10 ·
Well, I bought a Players Jag (PJ) bass. The neck (gloss board, satin back) is great, no fret issues, very nice playing. They did 'upgrade' the pickups to AlnicoV (from ceramic) and they sound excellent - best P pickup I've used yet. Pots are still full sized, but are Korean - sound fine to me, in terms of sweep. Couple of very small finish flaws on the body.

And light. I think Fender has really concentrated on getting this entire series light. There are many reports online about them being light. At the same time I bought my Jag, I tried out a P and a J. The J - white with maple board - was the lightest J I can remember ever handling, lighter than my Aerodyne (basswood). You may or may not know, but J's are a fairly big body and notorious for being heavy.

Let me tell you this, I bought an American Pro Jazz about a month ago - nice bass. But the assembly on the Mexican is superior - I had to tighten almost eveything on that AmPro, and almost nothing on the Mexi. And the neck pocket is super tight on the Mexi, gaps on the AmPro.

Local retailer carrying them $40 cheaper than L&M.

#11 ·
Well, I bought a Players Jag (PJ) bass. The neck (gloss board, satin back) is great, no fret issues, very nice playing. They did 'upgrade' the pickups to AlnicoV (from ceramic) and they sound excellent - best P pickup I've used yet. Pots are still full sized, but are Korean - sound fine to me, in terms of sweep. Couple of very small finish flaws on the body.

And light. I think Fender has really concentrated on getting this entire series light. There are many reports online about them being light. At the same time I bought my Jag, I tried out a P and a J. The J - white with maple board - was the lightest J I can remember ever handling, lighter than my Aerodyne (basswood). You may or may not know, but J's are a fairly big body and notorious for being heavy.

Let me tell you this, I bought an American Pro Jazz about a month ago - nice bass. But the assembly on the Mexican is superior - I had to tighten almost eveything on that AmPro, and almost nothing on the Mexi. And the neck pocket is super tight on the Mexi, gaps on the AmPro.

Local retailer carrying them $40 cheaper than L&M.
I don't doubt it. I'm far from a stickler for MIA products. My Classic 50s Mexi is a steller guitar, as was my MIM/MIC hybrid Tele.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.