The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just confirmed an order for a custom bass! I was so happy with my Marchlewski that I had to go again... I've been working with a great luthier in the UK... We finally come to terms and work has just started on my A.C. Guitars Recurve - you can see the website at http://www.acguitars.co.uk/.

Here are the specs:

• 4 string modified Recurve design
  • black limba body
  • camphor burl top/back on the body
  • camphor burl facing on the headstock
  • birdseye maple neck w/back limba strips
  • quited maple fingerboard
  • 2 proprietary FatBas humbucking pickups made by Aaron Amstrong (Kent's son)
  • black hardware (hipshot brindge & tuners)
  • electronics TBD - looking at some cool options
Unfortunately, you can't see an exact copy of the bass on order there on the website because we've revised the body shape. Here's the template:

And here's the camphor burl that we're going to be using for the body and faceplate on the headstock:

And here's a great shot of what will be the fingerboard:

I am SO pumped!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
james on bass said:
That's going to be very nice. Those woods are beautiful!
Thanks James! I'll post more in progress pics as they arrive. This is going to be so cool!!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
congratulations, that's going to be one hell of a bass.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aha! The woods you've selected are truly beautiful. As others have said, please keep us posted on your progress. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oddio said:
Aha! The woods you've selected are truly beautiful. As others have said, please keep us posted on your progress. Congratulations!!!
Thanks Andrew, I'll keep posting progress pixs as they arrive from Alan (the super-luthier).

And hey, this doesn't mean that I'm not interested in that other item that we were talking about a month or two ago! *smirk*

·
Registered
69 Posts
basse said:
And hey, this doesn't mean that I'm not interested in that other item that we were talking about a month or two ago! *smirk*
Not forgotten, my friend. I will keep you posted. Nonetheless, it looks like the bass of your dreams is well underway! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Some more in progress pics...

Here's the first shot of the body now that it's shaped with the camphor burl on the top and bottom:

Here's the back of the body showing where it will be shaped and the control cavity:

Alan tells me that the neck should have the headplate and a back plate on tomorrow - both with double veneer contrast lines! And then the headstock will be shaped once the headplate is dry. The rest of the week will be spent routing cavities and putting on the camphor heel - again with double veneer and then finally fitting the neck.

This is getting REALLY exciting!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
sexy, it looks like its coming along real nice.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Xanadu!

And the photos just keep on coming... Here's the front of the headstock before the logo goes on, I love the way the fretboard is looking...

Here's a side view of the headstock showing the veneers and accents...

And finally, a shot of the body with the neck laid on top!!!!

I can't believe this is coming together so quickly!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the most recent photos:

The neck inserts:

The neck affixed to bass to make sure everything fits before the carving starts:

And the front and back of the body now that it's been carved wiped down with mineral spirits to give an idea of how it'll look once it's been sprayed:

We should have some word on the electronics we're going to use very shortly too!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, I was just talking with Alan at AC Guitars via e-mail and we're still making choices on where to go with my ReCurve.

I'm hoping to have photos of the neck being carved in the next couple of days. Alan's been experimenting with a slightly asymetrical neck and I like the idea - and I can't wait to see how that progresses.

What was that line by Tom Petty... "the waiting is the hardest part"? Boy, he got that right!!! Thankfully, Alan's an amazing guy to deal with and keeps in touch almost every day so I really feel a part of the process!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The frets are now in the fretboard... I'm really liking the way that it's looking, particularly the combination of the quilted maple and the camphor burl! Wow!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
basse said:
The frets are now in the fretboard... I'm really liking the way that it's looking, particularly the combination of the quilted maple and the camphor burl! Wow!!!

man that;s the coolest fret board ive ever seen. Props:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again guys! And the photos just keep coming, I can't believe this is coming together so quickly AND so beautifully...

Here's the back of the neck now that the initial shaping has been done - yes, it's been wiped down with mineral spirits so it appears darker than it will once the lacquer is applied - holy crap the stripes in the neck and camphor heel and headstock look amazing with those veneers as accents!!!:

Here's the back of the bass with the neck laid in - once again wiped with mineral spirits so it is darker than the finished bass will be:

Here's a close-up of the side of the bass, once again with the neck laid in but without the mineral spirits:

WOW!!! I am so incredibly fricken' impressed! :food-smiley-015:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
More photos of the neck in progress...

Here's a close-up of the headstock with the logo laid in:

And here's a photo of the top of the neck showing the fretboard and the headstock with the tuners:

And here are the pickups, 2 ACG FatBas custom wound humbuckers... Ceramic magnets in the bridge with Alnico 5 magnets in the neck:

I am so pumped!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
are those the pups that are warwicks?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Xanadu said:
are those the pups that are warwicks?
Actually they're custom made and wound by Aaron Armstrong (Kent's son) specifically for Alan at AC Guitars. I think what's great about them is that he uses different magnets for the neck vs. the bridge positions.

That's just one of several things that made me decide to work with Alan on this bass. He provides a phenomenal level of craftmanship, he offers custom pickups that are unavailable elsewhere, really cool designs that he's not adverse to modifying, great build times compared to a number of "other" builders and more.

BTW, stay tuned because we should be able to talk about the pre-amp details in the next week to 10 days too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for the comments guys! Alan at AC Guitars assembled and strung my bass earlier today so that he could make sure that all of the parts fit before he started spraying.

He tells me that he also cut the nut. No adjustment was needed on the truss rod and it had pretty nice action - even without fine-tuning it. He also states that it sounds pretty resonant, in fact quite bell like. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

The body still needs some more sanding but another session should see it completed.

There are a few small holes in the camphor which is as expected. He's going to fill them with lacquer which takes a fair bit of time but stops any of the colour discrepancies that can happen if you use filler. FYI, the white circles that you see on the bass are marks around those small holes that will be filled - but will also be wiped off before spraying starts.

Side view...

Body view...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts