The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I want...need

I love the idea of getting an Apple but not sure $1300 for the new desktop..love that garage band though!!

What do you think of the dual proccesors? I have one on my IBM work laptop and its great for work stuff but not sure how it would work at home or even if I need it.

Home is mostly about surfing, music and e-mails...no real work stuff, bring the laptop home for that..

Budget mmmmm cheap is good free is best!! But I have seen some around the $500 mark which seem good..what do you think?
Bev

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I just got a new laptop, and when I looked at desktops I was amazed at what you can get spec wise for cheap..........

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
What do I want...need

I love the idea of getting an Apple but not sure $1300 for the new desktop..love that garage band though!!

What do you think of the dual proccesors? I have one on my IBM work laptop and its great for work stuff but not sure how it would work at home or even if I need it.

Home is mostly about surfing, music and e-mails...no real work stuff, bring the laptop home for that..

Budget mmmmm cheap is good free is best!! But I have seen some around the $500 mark which seem good..what do you think?
Bev

At that price your only choice would be the low end Mac Mini. I just bought the higher end one to run Vista MCE and serve up my HD content. It's small, pretty to look at and dead quite. Perfect for sitting right beside my TV.

My next computer will be the new 24" Imac. I was so impressed with how the mini ran Vista, that I'm definately going Mac next time around. I still have my laptop to do actual work.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I have used mac's for years and love the new iMac's. They are well worth the money to me. Not trying to start any Mac/PC debates, just stating my preference. Considering my last Mac lasted 9 years, and even at that age still ran all the current software and apps, it was well worth the money. The only upgrade/repair I ever did was adding a larger hard drive. Not very many un-upgraded PC's that are 9 years old would run the current Windows.

My brother repairs computers, a lot of people end up paying in the end for buying something too cheap. Something like a Dell with a good warranty is always a good idea.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I jsut got one of the new Imac's..

Phenomenal computer.

Seriously.

I use it for my freelance web/print design work, and I couldn't be happier.

1300 for an all in one machine that has power to spare..
You can even run Windows on it if you dont like the mac os.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty much the surf/read news/e-mail type of user
too. I tend to buy my systems used. No more than $120
for a CPU. I currently use a P3 with 256Ram. It does what
I need. I'll be upgrading to a P4 when I find a cheap one.
Personally, I can't justify spending a lot for maybe 5 hrs
a week on my PC. Not when a mortgage is priority.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked out the new Mini Mac today and I must say I am impressed, $650 for that is not bad..

Birthday is coming up soon so it will be a nice litle Little gift from me to me..

Bev

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yep, these days you can pick up a pre-built (HP, eMachines or whatever) for well under 600 loaded with a top of the line processor, lots o' RAM and massive hard drives, but as usual a crap video card/integrated graphics. Buying a pre-built and swapping the video card is a great way to get a gaming grade PC these days.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yep, these days you can pick up a pre-built (HP, eMachines or whatever) for well under 600 loaded with a top of the line processor, lots o' RAM and massive hard drives, but as usual a crap video card/integrated graphics. Buying a pre-built and swapping the video card is a great way to get a gaming grade PC these days.
Our definitions of top of the line must be much different. $600 gets you no where near top of the line. But then I'm pretty demanding. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I picked up a laptop for my daughter in the States last week. Great deals out there now on laptops that have a lot of power. Spec wise you can get a lot for under $800 today.
I picked up 3 laptops at $999 each. Of course in order to have Ultimate Vista it was a $179 addon on top of that. If they last 5 years, thats stoopid cheap. The new server was over $12,000, hopefully that will last 10 years........

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The machines out there are like guitars..all kinds and prices..
As we know there will be some jems out there that are better than others. I think after doing my homework the mini mac is perfect for my home needs..may not work for the office but I don't need it..

Bev

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well...actually the key difference between a guitar and a computer is that guitar's don't get outdated. A good guitar will last you a life time, a good computer will last you...5 years? That's why I try not to spend too much money on electronics, since they tend to get outdated and phased out in a matter of years. Whereas musical instruments become vintage, electronics become...well crap, except for good old tube amps of course :smile:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Once you've had a Mac.......you wont go back........they just work!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts