1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
I don't think I ever finished reading his book. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I put it down and never picked it up again.

My son leaves for LA on the 18th of this month to see Eric Clapton.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I saw the opening at TIFF last night. Eric was there & talked about it before & after. It was a well done documentary, well worth watching. A bit 'kid gloves' on a few of his more troubling personal aspects, but it did 'go there.' No talking heads, lots of great archival footage of him & other contemporaries. Worth the watch fer sure.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
I don't think I ever finished reading his book. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I put it down and picked it up again.....................etc
After I read it, I stopped listening to his music almost altogether. 1 song I had to learn for a band, and Layla I will never stop listening to I guess. Everything else is immediate radio channel change.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
what was so bad about his book?

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I enjoyed his book... He had a rough life, endless tragedy, plagued with addiction, failed with literally every love in his life (except guitar). One thing that it made me think was although he's a rock star and you'd assume he has a blessed life, I wouldn't want to walk in his shoes. Not for one moment. I'll definitely check out the doc when it makes its way to Netflix or wherever (but only after I see the new Hip movie).

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I read the book. Quite interesting. A very flawed human being, loyal to none, completely amoral and a slave to alcohol and substance abuse. I agree with Lord Humongous that his life was full of tragedy and disappointment. The one bright spot has always been his music. I would not want to walk 5 feet in his shoes.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I have a lot of sympathy for EC. He's done very well considering all the crap he's gone through

wow...a rock star: amoral, and a slave to substance abuse....what a surprise!! :D

back in the '60's & '70's that was probably seen as a positive thing. But we're all older now...

I thought it was pretty hilarious when he had sex with that crazy & repulsive witch lady, who promised him she'd get his love back for him....man, if that happened to me, I sure wouldn't admit it, or include it in my book!!

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
I thought it was pretty hilarious when he had sex with that crazy & repulsive witch lady, who promised him she'd get his love back for him....man, if that happened to me, I sure wouldn't admit it, or include it in my book!!
The fact that he included that in his book makes me wonder what ghastly things he didn't include. How low can you go? Crazy and repulsive witch ladies - hell, lotsa room under that bar. ;)

Reactions: bolero
1 - 10 of 10 Posts