The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking into moving to NB, do you prefer the Saint John area, or the Moncton area.

Major things to consider are; weather, jobs (technical/engineering work, perhaps oil & gas related), house prices, music scene, etc..

I've found some nice houses online in the Quispamsis and Hampton area, but haven't really looked in the Moncton suburbs yet.

Thanks for any info..

Terry

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
We're looking into moving to NB, do you prefer the Saint John area, or the Moncton area.

Major things to consider are; weather, jobs (technical/engineering work, perhaps oil & gas related), house prices, music scene, etc..

I've found some nice houses online in the Quispamsis and Hampton area, but haven't really looked in the Moncton suburbs yet.

Thanks for any info..

Terry
I grew up in the Chatham (now a part of Miramichi) area and later lived on the North Shore (Dalhousie).

Personally I'm more fond of Moncton but only because I went to many great concerts in the Moncton colliseum as a boy.

N.B. is a great place with friendly people throughout.

Good luck with the move.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The Maritimes are the friendliest places on earth. I drive through NB on my was to NS, there are lots of really nice places around.

As for tech jobs, I believe they have allot of Call Center and IT support companies out that way. My family has allways tried to use it as bait to get me to move closer to home.

C

·
0 Posts
People....

I find the more people I meet, the more they're all the same.... Folks is folks is folks is folks....

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Moncton is my favorite, though the Hampton Quispam area is great. Saint John is a nice city, but it seems that all the new growth is taking place in Moncton. And its closer to the good beaches, and the good fried clams.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Weather-Saint John gets the fog
-Moncton gets the snow
Jobs -Saint John for oil and gas
-Moncton for tech.
Housing I'd say ther're pretty close in the burbs.
Night life and music(just my opinion) but there just seems to be more goin on in Moncton.
One more thing Moncton has goin for it...it's closer to Halifax.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Saint John: hills and trees and the sea, cruise ships, blues, indie rock and jazz, hockey, fog, temperate, MOOSEHEAD, great food
Moncton: flat, concrete, highways, malls, blues,country and Acadien, hockey, SNOW, SNOW, hot summers, cold winters and SNOW
Quispamsis: Meh!
All: friendly folk who love a good time.

·
Registered
737 Posts
washburned;51319......... Quispamsis: Meh! ........[/QUOTE said:
Yeah, hey Jimmy, don't even think about jammin' out there! Right? My neighbourhood is pretty tolerant, (some supportive), with the music but I have to tolerate their ATV's on the roads. (f*** Ricky!)

Moncton has more growth but SJ is due for some big projects like a new refinery and LePreau expansion. Both mostly blue-collar towns, Moncton has the french/english dynamic, SJ is 'historic' and the air stinks today. I think SJ cops are more friendly, about equal for shopping. Both have active music scenes but are different. I think housing might be cheaper in SJ. I know the traffic is better in SJ.

Hope you get a chance to visit before you decide Terry, at any rate, welcome to our 'Picture Province"!

Mich
I'm on vac this wk :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great point Michelle, there is going to be a lot of work coming in the future here in Saint John, as long as you can get by until then, but there are a few oil/gas related jobs around with the natural gas boom we've had.
:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking at houses in the Quispam/Hampton area next week. We can't really live in SJ since it would be too far a drive for my gf.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm looking at houses in the Quispam/Hampton area next week. We can't really live in SJ since it would be too far a drive for my gf.
Hey Terry; If I had to choose, I would live in Hampton, nice rural small-town, farmer's market, great weather. Quispamsis' population consists of mainly white-collar, lots are small, and the housing is more expensive. SJ can get very depressing with the lousy fog but we have had good weather so far this year. Hampton is about 15min from SJ via the highway, so coming to town on occasion is not a big deal.

Good luck with your search!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts