The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you all don't do brag pics or you put them somewhere else but I'll start here and see where it goes.

I'm mostly a guitar player but often there are too many guitar players in the room so I play borrowed basses or whatever happens to be kicking around.

A while ago I decided enough of that I want to get my own bass. Not too fancy pants. Simple and flexible. Budget for a secondary instrument not breaking the bank.

I tried some P/J Squiers and older stuff and Yamaha TRBX line. Didn't like them. Kind of hard to find a place locally that carries them but I found a Yamaha BB series 4-string at a local independent music shop and liked it except for the color. He was willing to order one for me but lead time was long and then the delivery truck wrecked and broke it so they ordered another one and that lead time was long. But eventually it did come.

So ... I am now the proud new owner of a good old fashioned Yorkville teardrop case:

with a Yamaha BB234 in it

that looks like this on its own

and when somebody I know plays it with a strap that's kinda too long

So far I like it. I'm a used gear guy and don't like the feel of brand new stuff so it will take a while to break it in and get the neck feeling good and everything settled out. The sound is good. Pickups hum way less than some other P/J setups (Squier J and Jaguar). Build quality from Yamaha is always top notch if a little nondescript. That's OK whatever personality it gets will come with use. I'm happy I waited for the natural finish instead of the red and white one the store stocked. The grain difference between the center block and the bottom block is a bit more pronounced than I would like but it's not bad. I put some Schaller strap locks on it but the front one on the upper horn points down too far and I think I might take them off and go with the simple disc type ones. I once dropped a guitar on the floor in the middle of a show and wrecked it for lack of strap locks and don't want to do that again.

Biggest problem right now is that I play a lot of fingerstyle guitar so had a good set of nails on my right hand. Bass fingerstyle sounds like crap with nails. I guess I could just thumb it. So I cut my nails off but now guitar playing sounds like crap although the bass is a lot better. Not sure where that will settle out but if that's my biggest problem then I'm OK.

j

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After playing it for a couple of weeks here are some thoughts on the BB234
-i'm glad i went with the natural satin finish instead of one of the paint colors on the body. it's a very thin no apparent film. it will get nicks and dings easily but i don't care it feels good playing it. natural finish also gets you a black pick guard which makes the truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck stand out less
-satin finish on the neck same thing - i've played a few other ones recently with a heavy film finish or painted neck and i'm happy i don't have one
-i'll probably replace the volume pots after a while both of them are the same with most of the movement right at the beginning and right at the end of the range
-pickup sound is good. the neck pickup isn't quite as p-bass round as i thought it would be but that's not a sound i go for anyway. both pickups at about 80% sounds about the best in my ears.
-i've been playing it through either a solid state Jana PA head from the '70s and a Traynor 4x10 cab same age or straight into my little 12 channel board and then a newer PA amp and a set of KOA SL-22 speakers along with whatever else i'm amplifying. the traynor 4x10 is pretty flabby. maybe i should just suck it up and get a bass amp - for what i play i think a fender rumble 100 would be about the right size. Less work schlepping it around anyway. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
The Rumbles are well respected and liked. If you can stretch a bit $$, you do get a few more options at the 200 level. 100 won't be much good in most band situations unless it's pretty quiet rehearsal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts