The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up my new instrument and am still riding the high of having what feels like my wood-bodied soulmate but there are still boxes unchecked... she needs a new amp to make her scream.
I'm relatively ignorant to what ideally suits me best in terms of wattage and if/what brands excel above others for my hard rock/metal style of play. There are two requirements that I do feel are important: My wife works a shift position so it is imperative that it has a headphone jack so I'm not limited to playing when she's either awake or away. The other is that I notice many come with a ton of effects and I'm hoping to find one that can accomplish more that the little Crate amp my brother had when we were in highschool in the 90's.
The amp will never see anything outside of my basement or a jamming situation with a friend so it doesn't need to be a concert stack and as of right now the ability to plug a mic in or record with it isn't important to me.
Any and all opinions are valuable to me so let me know what you think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I just picked up my new instrument and am still riding the high of having what feels like my wood-bodied soulmate but there are still boxes unchecked... she needs a new amp to make her scream.
I'm relatively ignorant to what ideally suits me best in terms of wattage and if/what brands excel above others for my hard rock/metal style of play. There are two requirements that I do feel are important: My wife works a shift position so it is imperative that it has a headphone jack so I'm not limited to playing when she's either awake or away. The other is that I notice many come with a ton of effects and I'm hoping to find one that can accomplish more that the little Crate amp my brother had when we were in highschool in the 90's.
The amp will never see anything outside of my basement or a jamming situation with a friend so it doesn't need to be a concert stack and as of right now the ability to plug a mic in or record with it isn't important to me.
Any and all opinions are valuable to me so let me know what you think.

Hey NoEncores,

Just saw your post. I wrote an article about buying a new amp and what to consider.

You can read it here: 5 Things to Consider When Buying a New Guitar Amplifier | The Complete Guitar

Hope it helps, Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Holy spam batman.

Anyway, whats your budget? You will probably get better headphone sounds from a dedicated setup - i use an interface and my laptop running garageband.

I think you may have more fun with a good tube amp over the katana, but the 30w katana could be the ticket for quiet practice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy spam batman.

Anyway, whats your budget? You will probably get better headphone sounds from a dedicated setup - i use an interface and my laptop running garageband.

I think you may have more fun with a good tube amp over the katana, but the 30w katana could be the ticket for quiet practice.
for sure. this is just a starting point and I'd be lying If I were to say I've explored all options so I appreciate the alternative options.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
What’s the geetar? Does it have humbuckers or singles? What kind of music do you like? But ya, sounds like it’s hard to beat the Katana right now.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
What’s the geetar? Does it have humbuckers or singles? What kind of music do you like? But ya, sounds like it’s hard to beat the Katana right now.
Jackson HH FR beast.

My gut says a 5153 50w combo would provide a lot of entertainment. If he has a computer, $100 for an interface and he can get great headphone sounds with free vst's

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say the response here was fairly strong for the Katana so I went and checked them out. It was between that and the latest line 6 but even the employees at the store all vouched for the Boss so it was and easy decision. I now have a new 50W Boss Katana!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might also want to consider some of the new Marshall line up.

Oh shit. Never mind. Have fun with the Katana
no sorry necessary man :)
the katana seems like it suits my needs well but if I was able to crank it a little louder I definitely would have gone with a bigger amp.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Bigger amps can do the quiet thing too, just some don't have the headphone feature.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I played around with Boss Tone Central last night and man have amps come a long way. Having a library of effects that are downloadable for no additional money is uncommon in most other industries.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Marshall Class 5. Has headphone jack and an output for a cab.

Reactions: NoEncores
1 - 20 of 20 Posts