The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of buying and selling amps I am absolutely 100 percent satisfied....finally! I played a used 59 Bassman LTD at L and M and was floored. Only playing it at relatively low volumes I already knew that this was the cleanish tone that I had been looking for.

Went home, read all the glowing reviews and how it takes pedals so well (it does) and was going to trade some gear and sell a bunch of stuff. Then I found another one for sale for $600 cheaper at another location of the same store I tried the first one and jumped on it.

Just a wonderfully full sounding amp that can chime or grind and lots in between. Sounds amazing with any pedal I have tried...both od and modulation. Not too loud for playing at home especially with the 4 inputs...lots of sounds in there. And the kicker? It is really not that heavy. A tad heavier than my 2x12 cab and actually thinner and easier to move around.

I have tried so many amps including some of the top boutique builders but have never been happier with my tones than with this amp and some killer pedals.

A real gem of an amp!

·
Premium Member
8,534 Posts
I give it 2 months. You've been I believe the single biggest amp (whore sorry) on these boards for I think over 10 years, didn't we do a deal in a Calgary parking lot 10-12 years ago? :D;)

Congrats, I've always heard they're great but unlike what you are saying, not satisfying at lower volumes is the general consensus if I remember my reading.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Tis true...I have done many a shady parking lot gear deal. But I have gotten so tired of it and honestly, my personal feeling is that for me many amps just sound the same....but not this one.

I also find that it sounds very good at lower volumes...2-3 on the dial.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
I agree, a great sounding amp. May be because of the 410 config, I dunno. One of my favorite Fenders. And I was also surprised that it isn't as heavy as it looks. Nice find!

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Well whether it is final or not--enjoy!

Reactions: pickslide

·
Registered
24,129 Posts
The Reissue units had a solid-state rectifier, plywood cab, and Emin3ence speakers. The Ltd. has a proper rectifier tube, to add a little bit of sponginess to the sound, a pine cab to reduce the weight, and Jensen P10R speakers like the original

I bought my own original 59 back in 1992. It came with 3 of the original speakers, and I had to buy a recent-issue Jensen to fill the 4th hole. Quite frankly, I have not played it loud or often enough to be able to tell you whether the age and accumulated use of the Jensens makes a difference of any kind in their tone.

But overall, with the singular exception of the adjustable bias (an improvement IMHO) the LTD is a very faithful copy of the original.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possibly just to add a smaller more portable amp for jams and such.

I have never had no interest whatsoever in looking at the amp emporium for this long...that I can tell you. Thisnis regarding amps mind you. The GAS has shifted over to guitars again. Just bought one this week lol

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
I'd love to have that amp, but I wouldn't definitely get evicted when I crank it.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The LTD Bassman is a pretty decent amp as is. I A/B'd one against my original 1960. I was pretty impressed. The LTD is good. It can be made better too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts