The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a busy boy lately!! Earlier this week I borrowed a couple amps off of a friend of mine, just for fun, but ended up having to buy one off of him... of which was the Orange OR50. It's a part of the newer production versions that came along after the 40th Anniversary ones did so well. This is my first Orange amp &, my word, am I impressed! I implore anyone to at least try one if they ever get a chance; make sure to bring a pedal to plug into the footswitch input so that you can bypass the master volume ;). The fist knob is a really cool addition too; turn it all the way off to have your standard old-school, bass freq. heavy OR50 tone, but as you start turning it clockwise it adds presence and gain which boosts it into a more new(nu)-school Orange territory. I love the grindy tone you get from this amp! So doom, much stoner!

Next is a late Traynor YBA-3. I got it in a trade for my little bedroom amp set up that I was no longer using too much. I have wanted one of these for a while because most people refer to this model as the Canadian Hiwatt, and being as my Hiwatt Custom 100 will be buried with me I had to see. It certainly did not disappoint either! I can see why people do say that and even agree with it when it comes to being loud and staying clean, although I do think they are quite different when their natural gain starts adding to the sound. Boosted with a V1 OCD and occasionally a very hairy fuzz pedal it was a loud LOUD doomers dream. I think that head, with my Ampeg V4 cab (the one it's sitting on) may become my go-to set up for this noisy rock band I'm starting up.
Traynge.jpg

Funny story on this last one.. So I accompanied a friend to Ottawa to pick up this 2x12 combo amp he was getting in a trade. We got there, tried it out, completed the trade, started driving back, & within the first 2 hours back to Scarborough it became mine through a trade.
It's a Matamp GT50 2x12 combo amp, which was put into production around 2009 & then discontinued around 2012. It's a real sleeper too, and I learned out the hard way.. The cab build makes it seem smaller than most 2x12 cabs out there, let alone the fact that there's also an amp tucked away in there too, so I plopped it on top of a 4x12 cab to have the sound coming more at my face as opposed to my shins. I turned it on, cranked the gain knob (as you do), and put the Volume to about 9 or 10 o'clock; figuring it was only a 50watt amp I was in the safe zone still - WRONG! My ears are still ringing from my foolish misstep!! It is easily one of the loudest amps I have ever owned. I mean, it beats the OR50 cranked through a 4x12 without question, and can hold up against the YBA-3 through a 4x12. How do I know? I tried it through my 4-way channel selector. With the volume aside the tone is also remarkable as it nails the JCM800 tone, but with much more dynamic refinement, and although it is a very bright sounding amp, like an 800, it doesn't get the ear-piercing treble you sometimes find through the Marshall. It's pure, unadulterated rock n' roll tone through and through!

matamp1.jpg

matamp2.jpg

Anyway, done my rambling now. Thanks for looking & reading!!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
The only thing better than a New Amp Day is New AMPS days. Congrats!

Reactions: danielSunn0)))

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
There's a good Facebook group called TAO of Tone. TAO = Traynor Amp Owners. Lots of knowledgeable people there if you're wondering about repairs, mods, or anything.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a good Facebook group called TAO of Tone. TAO = Traynor Amp Owners. Lots of knowledgeable people there if you're wondering about repairs, mods, or anything.
I've been a member of that group for some time now, even bought/sold a couple things that have since been and gone through it! Thanks for the good looking out though!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts