The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

FIRST POSTING lol

I've recently bought VHT 100 CL /EQ and a road case for $1300 USD.

So that's a pretty nice deal I think. But after spending few mins about

the shipping stuffs I feel like I'm actually going to be ended up with overpaid.

I paid $75 for fully insured UPS ground shipping (splitted half with the

seller) and from what I read I think I picked the worst service. :mad:

Actually I've had a history with UPS few years ago when they charged me

almost half of the price I paid for the pedal. So I asked the guy to

pick USPS but he told me the weight problem forced him to choose UPS.

It's really the first time to bought an amp from US so I know nothing about

how broken coverage and all the taxes work. Can anyone tell me how

much I should expect to pay for the charges???

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Let us know what the damage is (financial I mean). Just chalk it up to experience and enjoy the amp.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
well..most likely you'll pay around 80$ brokage free, then canadien taxe on goods, and import custom fees, usually, if should be around 240$...

unless i'm mistaken. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you would have posted before you bought it we would have warned you! Everytime I see someone buying for the US I mention it incase they forgot or didn't know.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you would have posted before you bought it we would have warned you! Everytime I see someone buying for the US I mention it incase they forgot or didn't know.
I really wanted to avoid UPS but it's like 75 lbs (even with the roadcase, I didn't know the head weighs that much) and from my previous experience, about 10 - 15 lbs lighter F-50 combo barely passed the weight restriction of Canada Post. What is your suggestion for heavy stuffs like amp, cabs (especially 2X12)??? I know most of my money saved for cab is now about to be wasted for crazy charges and I have to be cab-less for next few months but I just want to know how I need to deal with this kind of stuffs in the future so that I don't need to keep the tax collectors happy.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just talk to guys I know at local shops about getting the gear I'd like and I usually get a good price. After figuring in prices from the US with the taxes, shipping, customs / brokerage fees and all that stuff it almost always comes out cheaper from the local shops.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Just to give you an idea of what you're in for, after paying $88 for shipping a $500 amp @ 90lb shipping weight I was charged another $126 at the door for brokerage fees and taxes. Charges are based on the value of the item btw.
I got a pretty good deal on the amp to begin with so even with that it was worth it but for some reason UPS won't quote the entire cost when the seller gets the estimate. They only quote the shipping fee.
Anyway, in your case what's done is done. Enjoy your amp and use your experience for future purchases.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to get nailed with brokerage fees and taxes when buying pedals from the US.

1) ALWAYS try to get them to ship USPS as they don't charge brokerage of course.
2) Get the item shipped to a business address..if you have family or friends that own one (you'll avoid the taxes)
3) Don't buy from the US unless you're getting a really good deal to compensate for the additional charges.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Remember guys....if you are fortunate enough to live very close to the border....check to see if any border stores offer parcel drop off service.
The one near where I live only charges $3.00 regardless of size.
Say I order an item from MF....it's free shipping to the border store...I track it and see when it arrives or I can just phone down....once it is there I drive down and pick it up and just pay taxes at the border....that's it that's all.....no BS brokerage fees....stop into your friendly American border stores and see if they offer this service ! Oh yeah...and grab a tank full of cheaper gas too for the ride home !

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey here's an update.
My mother got the package today when I was in school. The delivery guy didn't charge the brokage fee + other taxes. All I have is a paper called 'waybill'. I don't think I got lucky, instead, I think I don't know what is going on cuz it is stated "bill duties and taxes to 'receiver'". I saw some ppl saying that they got charged few hundreds bucks at the door but my paper doesn't even show how much I have to pay. There's a phone number written in 'special instructions' so I might have to call the number but it's really weird. Are they going to send me a bill later???

BTW, it was one fast shippment. The amp was shipped in Las Vegas on 17th and just arrived today. That's a positive side lol

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It is possible that you'll get a paper and/or phone call later on... I remember reading someone getting one a week after they received their product.

Congrats on the bad ass amp by the way!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
You will likely get a bill in about a week or so (that's been my experience), then they'll keep sending them to you until you pay it. If you don't pay it, they'll threaten you with a collection agency....blah, blah, blah.... I'LL NEVER USE UPS AGAIN.

Enjoy the amp though. You'll forget about the surcharges soon enough.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is possible that you'll get a paper and/or phone call later on... I remember reading someone getting one a week after they received their product.

Congrats on the bad ass amp by the way!
THX!!! I'll post some pics later lol

Feel like I'm waiting for the verdict or something... I hope the bill won't take all the money I saved for a cab (seems like it will though).

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
you just snagged a CL and case for $1300USD, stop complaining. those things are above $2K? $3k? new..

but it's not a UL.. i'll forgive you this time :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts