The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Genz Benz EL Diablo 100 head and a Randall vintage 30 4x12 cab. Cost me 1500 in total, used. Pretty awesome deal in my opinion. Ill post pics tomorrow probably.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just got a Genz Benz EL Diablo 100 head and a Randall vintage 30 4x12 cab. Cost me 1500 in total, used. Pretty awesome deal in my opinion. Ill post pics tomorrow probably.
El Diablo rocks! Can do brown sound as well as a ton of other tones very good. Great deal too... that head alone costs near $1500 new (I think it was like $1450 last I checked).

Congrats, can't wait to see some pics!

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
sounds like a pretty sweet deal!

i also got a sweet deal - peavey jsx head and two triple X cabs for nothin :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i have lots of problems with my amp already :(

The sound seems a little noisy, it's like a loud 'sssssssshhhhhhh' everytime i stop playing, until i switch it into standby mode or turn it off. Now with the Wah-Wah and talkbox troubles. When i connect my talkbox (rocktron banshee) to it and turn it on, there's this LOUD beep sound that comes out, and no actual guitar sound. With the wah pedal, simple. I turn on the wah, no wah effect, amp sound is decreased greatly, turn wah pedal off, and everything is normal. What the hell is wrong?? Its also making extremely loud beeping sounds when i dont have my fingers pressing on the strings.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well i have lots of problems with my amp already :(

The sound seems a little noisy, it's like a loud 'sssssssshhhhhhh' everytime i stop playing, until i switch it into standby mode or turn it off. Now with the Wah-Wah and talkbox troubles. When i connect my talkbox (rocktron banshee) to it and turn it on, there's this LOUD beep sound that comes out, and no actual guitar sound. With the wah pedal, simple. I turn on the wah, no wah effect, amp sound is decreased greatly, turn wah pedal off, and everything is normal. What the hell is wrong?? Its also making extremely loud beeping sounds when i dont have my fingers pressing on the strings.
The wah problem could be the power supply or battery... try swapping it out. I had the same problem with mine when I was using a battery. Put a new one in and it worked perfectly.

The noise when you stop playing is semi-odd... how much gain / treble / presence are you using and how loud are you playing? If you're playing high gain stuff and you're playing loud, it's pretty much assumed you'll need a noise gate lol. ISP Decimator is a great choice, but any noise gate will solve the problem of hissing when you stop playing. This is part of the reason why metal players use them... tighten up those pauses.

Talkbox... ugh, never used one so I can't offer any advice there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wah problem could be the power supply or battery... try swapping it out. I had the same problem with mine when I was using a battery. Put a new one in and it worked perfectly.

The noise when you stop playing is semi-odd... how much gain / treble / presence are you using and how loud are you playing? If you're playing high gain stuff and you're playing loud, it's pretty much assumed you'll need a noise gate lol. ISP Decimator is a great choice, but any noise gate will solve the problem of hissing when you stop playing. This is part of the reason why metal players use them... tighten up those pauses.

Talkbox... ugh, never used one so I can't offer any advice there.
Well as the loudness goes, i really don't put it loud, and there are two problems

1. the amp sounds really crappy when its not loud

2. It still makes the loud noises

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well it is a tube amp lol they're meant to be cranked! :rockon2:

Isn't there a switch on the El Diablo to go from 100 watts to 50? Set it to 50 so it breaks into overdrive earlier, if you haven't already.

If the noise isn't from too much gain or treble I'm sure one of the resident amp experts can shine some light on the subject.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it is a tube amp lol they're meant to be cranked! :rockon2:

Isn't there a switch on the El Diablo to go from 100 watts to 50? Set it to 50 so it breaks into overdrive earlier, if you haven't already.

If the noise isn't from too much gain or treble I'm sure one of the resident amp experts can shine some light on the subject.
alright well its at 100 right now, i'll try switching it to 50 in a few. Also, do you think it has anything to do with the 'OHMS' switches in the back? There's a 3-way switch that apparently accomodates with the cab, but i have no idea how to relate switch position will work well with the cab

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
alright well its at 100 right now, i'll try switching it to 50 in a few. Also, do you think it has anything to do with the 'OHMS' switches in the back? There's a 3-way switch that apparently accomodates with the cab, but i have no idea how to relate switch position will work well with the cab
Ugh yeah you should know what the cab is... take the back off and see what it says on the back of the speakers, should tell you the ohms. If you're gonna' unplug the cab, make sure the amp is off as well as when you plug it back in... can mess the amp up if you don't (so I've heard... I just trust the people that have told me that and don't **** with it LOL).

Here's more about cabs / speakers incase you need to know: http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?threadid=46544

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh yeah you should know what the cab is... take the back off and see what it says on the back of the speakers, should tell you the ohms. If you're gonna' unplug the cab, make sure the amp is off as well as when you plug it back in... can mess the amp up if you don't (so I've heard... I just trust the people that have told me that and don't **** with it LOL).

Here's more about cabs / speakers incase you need to know: http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?threadid=46544
Well i looked behind the cab, and there is no OHMS printed anywhere

·
Registered
97 Posts
omg yes make sure your ohms are right, also never run a tube
without a speaker plugged in,this is a good way to blow your stuff up
im not to sure what the ohms on ur cab are,they will be either 16 or 8
find someone with a ohms tester

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How would i be too take the back off?
Should have screws all along the back. Just unscrew 'em and the back should fall right on your lap lol. Once the screws are out you might have to take like a knife and gently pry it open from one of the sides, but all mine have came off relatively easy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should have screws all along the back. Just unscrew 'em and the back should fall right on your lap lol. Once the screws are out you might have to take like a knife and gently pry it open from one of the sides, but all mine have came off relatively easy.
Alright thanks man i'll try it tomorrow

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright the buzzing has diminished alot now, thanks violation. The OHMS was 8.

And now heres a pic :)

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
if you know the model of your cab, you coulda just went to the manufacturers website and it'd tell you what ohms the cab is :)

its usually either 8 or 16.

note: dont crank the treble or the gain, crank the channel volume. welcome to the world of "chunk". and use ear protection - i find my jsx sounds insanely trebley until i put on ear protection. and then it just sounds sick :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts