The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of an oddball amp but its real nice.
Its a Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified 40 watt (6L6 power tubes)
with onboard reverb, delay and chorus.
Switchable 2 channel setup.

I would be most interested in your opinion of the stock
Calestion G12P-80 Ipswich England stock 12" speaker.
is an upgrade in order and what? ....that kind of stuff.

just took a couple of pics...so here they are.
G.
DSC06632.JPG DSC06627.JPG

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Congrats!

I stumbled onto and read this when looking up the amp.
Just to warn you if you are thinking of getting a new speaker.

I have no idea how accurate this is, but you might want to measure the total depth before buying something...
Just bought a Deluxe VM, love it, and it's going back (from the first post)

I fell in love with this amp today. I started out wanting a Blues Deluxe RI but after playing the clean and drive channels I was addicted to the Deluxe VM. It has the best digital effects I think I've ever heard. The clean channel is so cool and the drive is outstanding.

The Deluxe VM is warm, tight, bold, and classic. It reminds me of a blackface except tighter and not so sparkly. It's really a great clean in its own right.

Now the dilemma: I immediately wanted to replace the stock speaker with a V30 and it will not fit! The stock speaker is smaller somehow and there is no way a V30 will fit!!! I don't get it. Fender puts a cheap ass speaker in there and makes it impossible to replace.

This happened to me in the past with a vintage amp I had. A long story.

BTW...I'll bet your AlNiCo Weber would sound great in it!

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Looks like an absolutely wonderful amplifier to me.

If you must switch speakers, and there is a problem with exact size, maybe you could fab an adaptor ring out of plywood. Two sets of holes: one set for the amp's screws, another for the new speaker. May have to be fairly thick which will add weight.

What do I know? I'm the guy who won't do mods anymore...

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
If you love the sound, leave the speaker.

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to all the replies...especial Greco for the heads up on the depth of speaker replacement.

When I google "Celestion G12P-80" which is what I have in the amp, I get results for the
Celestion G12P-80 (Seventy -80). Do I have the same speaker as the celestion Seventy -80?
G.

By the way.... I didnt know this model amp even existed till I saw it for sale.
In case you are wondering, It seems like the same size as a Deluxe Reverb.

From the very little playing time I have had, speakers sounds just fine and the amp works as it should.
Still, I think you will all understand why I might inquire about a speaker replacement.....after all its what we do, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is just hilarious and a pretty good demo
G.

Reactions: greco

·
Administrator
16,419 Posts
As much as I like listening to Greg Koch I don't think that was a very good representation of what the amp is capable of. Seemed like a ton of digital distortion going on, likely from the camera. I much prefer this.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember playing around with one when they first came out, I was really impressed. Derrick Bell might be the solution to the speaker issue (bigger cab) :)
as for a fit for a speaker replacement Dave, it should be just a math issue.
The original Celestion G12P-80 is maxed out in the depth department.
There is a black transformer that sits about 1/4 inch from the back magnet.
Any speaker that exceeds this depth will not fit. Going to leave the speaker thing alone now till I get a better handle on the amp as it is.
G.
by the way ...thanks for the other demo video...it is much better and a learned a few things.

·
Administrator
16,419 Posts
I suspect one of the Neo Mag speakers would fit, or perhaps an Alnico with the bell cover removed.

I've been on the hunt for a DRRI but had forgotten about this amp. I'll add it to my list of possibles. They also made a Bandmaster VM that also sounded terrific but i think it was just a head.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suspect one of the Neo Mag speakers would fit, or perhaps an Alnico with the bell cover removed.
I've been on the hunt for a DRRI but had forgotten about this amp. I'll add it to my list of possibles. They also made a Bandmaster VM that also sounded terrific but i think it was just a head.
Once again Dave hits a home run with the suggestion of a Neo Mag speaker...
Perfect fit with just a simple mod to the silly tube basket...
Say hallo to an old friend Dave.
G.
DSC06662.JPG

Reactions: davetcan

·
Administrator
16,419 Posts
Once again Dave hits a home run with the suggestion of a Neo Mag speaker...
Perfect fit with just a simple mod to the silly tube basket...
G.
View attachment 159041
Excellent! You could also just dump the tube basket, unless you have a penchant for touching hot power tubes :)

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
This is hilarious!

I bought that Tonkerlite (Neo) recently from @davetcan for my 1 x12 cab. I needed something to go with the Quilter head I bought from @krusty.

I traded the Tonkerlite with @GTmaker (a few days ago) for a Weber AlNiCo that I had bought (new) years ago and sold/traded (I can't remember) to him.
I liked the Tonkerlite, but wanted to help @GTmaker find something that would fit his amp (see post #4 in this thread).

It seems as though the old phrase "made round to go 'round" applies well to these speakers!

·
Administrator
16,419 Posts
This is hilarious!

I bought that Tonkerlite (Neo) recently from @davetcan for my 1 x12 cab. I needed something to go with the Quilter head I bought from @krusty.

I traded the Tonkerlite with @GTmaker (a few days ago) for a Weber AlNiCo that I had bought (new) years ago and sold/traded (I can't remember) to him.
I liked the Tonkerlite, but wanted to help @GTmaker find something that would fit his amp (see post #4 in this thread).

It seems as though the old phrase "made round to go 'round' applies well to these speakers!
Classic. I think you both have, or at least had, some L'il Buddy's you got from me awhile ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts