The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used cleaner amps and got my dirt from pedals. I was wrong, holy fack was I wrong...... This is glorious :) and a perfect match for my new Lester.

IMAG0666.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
I've always used cleaner amps and got my dirt from pedals. I was wrong, holy fack was I wrong...... This is glorious :) and a perfect match for my new Lester.

View attachment 97281
I never got the idea of putting a transistor distortion box in front of a clean tube amp. Kind of defeated the purpose of the tube amp to some degree. But to each there own.

Once I found that the correct size of power amp for the room sounds like it can (and the LSS's ability to match rooms so well - even better now with a PS), I live only with a mix of pre and power tube distortion. I use effects pedals into the amp to goose the first stage and/or give me a few more flavors of OD (a big benefit in cover bands), but I use those pedals as effects, never as a part of my base tone. I pay a lot of money for tube amps, so I want to hear the tubes do their thing. It isn't for everyone, but it's sure my thing.

But, as always, play what you like and like what you play.

Reactions: Chitmo

·
Registered
329 Posts

View attachment 97281
Congrats on the Friedman PT-20!
I took one out for a test drive and was really impressed with the gain structure, the 3-way toggle is excellent!!!
However, I came home with a box containing the Mini Dirty Shirley only because of the cleaner option.....but the Pink Taco will rip your face off!!...A terrific sounding Rock Machine!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Awesome NAD, congrats!

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 97281

Nice amp! And LP!

It's really hard to beat a good single channel tube amp. So touch-sensitive, responsive and dynamic. Nothing quite sounds and feels the same.

Try setting it to just before it starts to break up and run a clean boost in front. Clean boost pushes that front end back into full natural overdrive at foot's reach with the touch of a button. Or the guitar's volume knob to clean up a dirty amp. Magic. I run my JTM45 and Egnater the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Yep. Pedals can never quite get the girthy OD that an actual tube amp provides - they always have that fizzyness to them. They are cool as dirty boosts (even very dirty boosts) but just the pedal never satisfies me.

Congrats; I hear good things about those but haven't had the pleasure personally.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice amp! And LP!

It's really hard to beat a good single channel tube amp. So touch-sensitive, responsive and dynamic. Nothing quite sounds and feels the same.

Try setting it to just before it starts to break up and run a clean boost in front. Clean boost pushes that front end back into full natural overdrive at foot's reach with the touch of a button. Or the guitar's volume knob to clean up a dirty amp. Magic. I run my JTM45 and Egnater the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've just been using the guitar volume, verb and a delay in the loop. So simple but so amazing.

Reactions: FiftyNiner_Winder
1 - 10 of 10 Posts