The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this a number of times, and a couple of years ago I got a ticket (which I beat) because the vehicle was blocked by others and unmarked But still I learned, never pass a cop.

Today driving on 417 I came up on a police SUV, which I quickly tucked into the right lane and for the next half hour he was the pace car for everyone. He was cool though. Two cars tried to pass at different times and as soon as they got by his back door he would put his lights on, the car would immediately pull back, and he shut the lights off.

Never pass a cop. What are you thinking?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts
I've never had issues... pass them on the highway all the time. They wont pull you over unless you're going at least 10km/hr over the limit here.

·
Premium Member
17,179 Posts
I've never had issues... pass them on the highway all the time. They wont pull you over unless you're going at least 10km/hr over the limit here.
I think it depends on the cop and their mode. I've been doing 120 and passed by a cop cruising along, and I've done 120 passing a cruiser without consequence.

Obviously don't be a dumbass on the road, period.

Reactions: jdto
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cop I was following today was doing 110km in on a 100km highway.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Drive past a lot of them and no problems. Speed limit seems to be 120 around here and maybe a bit more on the 407. Cops here don’t seem to be too interested in traffic violations got enough shit to deal with.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drive past a lot of them and no problems. Speed limit seems to be 120 around here and maybe a bit more on the 407. Cops here don’t seem to be too interested in traffic violations got enough shit to deal with.
Around here they seem to take it as an insult if you pass them.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
If they are going below the speed limit, pass when safe to do so. They sometimes do that to screen for impaired drivers. Even if you're not, getting pulled over is a waste of time.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya... if its not the 417/416 I wouldnt haha.
Actually that's exactly where I was today. I followed him for 20 minutes on 417, where he warned 2 drivers on separate occasions, through Kanata, onto 416, and he turned off onto Hunt Club from 416. I carried on to the next exit on 416.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I pass cops on the 400 series highways from time to time.

There’s pretty much an unwritten tolerance of +20 km on open stretches of these highways.

You can drive right past a speed trap on the 401 or 402 doing 120kmph and wave at the cop.

125 and you may get pulled over but not always.

I drive to Detroit and other points in Michigan and down into Ohio almost every month and I set my cruise ar 123 or 125.

In the states I don’t go more than 10 mph over the posted limit.

If a cop is doing 100 ~ 110 I’ll carefully and gently pass him (in Canada).

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
About 30 years ago while going to work out of town on the 417 i made the mistake of passing one and got myself a ticket. I saw him and knew he was there but figured he aint gonna pull me over for going by at a very reasonable speed. Learned my lesson.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
On the open stretches of highway between say, London and Windsor, or Sarnia, if you drive 100 kmph, you should consider installing a jump ramp on the back of your car.

Only governed tractor trailers drive close to 100 while they block the highway driving almost exactly the same speed as each other while one takes ten minutes to pass another.

Things may be quite different in different regions I suppose.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I pass them when they are going under the posted limit.. I've always wondered if they're just sitting there laughing at the enormous line of cars afraid to go by them when they do that..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts