The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My guitar teacher in the 70s asked me "is there a style you'd like to emulate". I said "Neil Young". He said "why would you want to play like that?" I replied with one word "crunchy". He didn't get it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I didn't "get" Neil Young until I saw a couple of things:

1) I saw him play "No More" on SNL. His solo during that song sounded like his singing. It was a bit ragged, but somehow right.
2) I heard a live recording of "Old Man." I had thought he was a weak singer until that. He sounded like he always does, but with power.

I should also mention that I think "Harvest Moon" is a wonderful song.

I weighed in on a debate over the solo in "Cinnamon Girl" at another guitar site. Someone said it was a lousy solo, and I said that it was perfect for the song, and asked what they would play in it's place. I submit that there isn't anything else you could play there that would work better.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,050 Posts
I love listening to his music and his conversations...I especially like his take on analog to digital conversion...a focused man.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
I didn't "get" Neil Young until I saw a couple of things:

1) I saw him play "No More" on SNL. His solo during that song sounded like his singing. It was a bit ragged, but somehow right.
2) I heard a live recording of "Old Man." I had thought he was a weak singer until that. He sounded like he always does, but with power.

I should also mention that I think "Harvest Moon" is a wonderful song.

I weighed in on a debate over the solo in "Cinnamon Girl" at another guitar site. Someone said it was a lousy solo, and I said that it was perfect for the song, and asked what they would play in it's place. I submit that there isn't anything else you could play there that would work better.
It's seldom a matter of "getting" something or not.

It's what you like or don't like.

In these sort of topics, anytime you have someone saying a solo is "lousy" you're wasting your time in my opinion.

I love the song Cinnamon Girl. The solo is a part of the song I could have lived without or with someone else playing it.

I wouldn't call it lousy.

It's not hard to "get". It's whether or not you want it once you get it.

I would add, that for years I would have said that my wife just doesn't get Rush.

Now I realize that she always got it. She knew and never denied that they were masterful musicians. She's not dumb. She just didn't enjoy the songs.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Love electric Neil and acoustic Neil. Huge influence on my playing and me playing guitar at all.

How can you not love someone who got sued by his own record company for not sounding like himself?

Or took a shotgun to crates of vinyl as there was an error in the master process and it didn't sound right and then paid for the albums to be repressed out of his own pocket?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Wow. Amazing performance. And of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i have a difficult time understanding what could be problematic for anyone about that electric guitar playing. Killer riff, mean as hell tone, amazing song....what more could you want?

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
A lot of people can’t stand his solos. They are little different. He goes his own way. You can’t say he lacks skills. This is a virtuoso performance, just him and a big hollowbody guitar. If I was able to emulate any tone and style this would be it. The first couple of minutes are him talking. If you’re not into that skip over it to the song.

your timing for posting this particular song is spot on, close at least. just saw that it was 51 years ago today

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Wow. Amazing performance. And of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i have a difficult time understanding what could be problematic for anyone about that electric guitar playing. Killer riff, mean as hell tone, amazing song....what more could you want?

What more could I want?

For him to play the same song on a Martin D28.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
That's a great vid, I love Neil, play a lot of his stuff, just so hard to find a key that I can play and sing to (Old Man, Heart of Gold for examples)

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
The amount of genres he's tackled and the number of times he's reinvented himself is remarkable.
Probably won't be with us for all that much longer, and I think people will probably be quite surprised with the size of his legacy in retrospect.

I love this non-traditional version of the classic. Apparently Nils Lofgren really enjoys playing it too. ;)

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have seen Neil live 7 times and full disclosure I am a super fan.

I think that his electric playing is like controlled anger and feedback that transcends more than it is technically impressive. His acoustic playing live, in the right venue, is as close as I have come to religion - It is truly something to marvel and should be experienced by every guitar player before they die. I love both and I love the fact that they are so different like split personalities.

Best show I ever saw was in Buffalo New York in 2008 and he did the first set fully acoustic with just him sitting in a circle of guitars and playing, singing and the occasional harmonica. Then there is a set break and he comes back out with the full band, grabs "old black" and a wall of tweed amps and just rocks the place.

Long may you run Neil

21 - 37 of 37 Posts