The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people can’t stand his solos. They are little different. He goes his own way. You can’t say he lacks skills. This is a virtuoso performance, just him and a big hollowbody guitar. If I was able to emulate any tone and style this would be it. The first couple of minutes are him talking. If you’re not into that skip over it to the song.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
I've never had a problem with Neil's playing, he has always had great taste in gear and a gnarly tone. His voice is not my favourite but to each his own. That being said, I didn't like that performance, hopefully it was a free concert and not a paid production

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never had a problem with Neil's playing, he has always had great taste in gear and a gnarly tone. His voice is not my favourite but to each his own. That being said, I didn't like that performance, hopefully it was a free concert and not a paid production
I disagree on the performance. Not many could play a hollowbody with that tone, sing at the same time, without a backing band. Acoustic singer/songwriter is hard enough. With an electric, at least for me, it is very hard to pull off. I’ve done it once at an outdoor venue with a semi hollow. There is no room for mistakes. It was very scary. With a band behind you it is much easier to hide the mistakes like open strings ringing out, misplaced fretting fingers muting strings that should be played etc. A hollowbody by itself you hear every mistake.

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
Saw NY several years ago in London and thought he played very well. His tone was superb, articulate, dialed in to maybe three distinct tones with variables that seemed to be fingers. His catalogue is huge with a lot of variety in style, which says to me that he’s very versatile.

·
Premium Member
25,887 Posts
The summer of 1970, I was writing for a small music tabloid in Montreal that promoter Donald K. Donald was bankrolling. I did mostly album reviews, and got a LOT of free albums that summer (some of which I still have). It was also the summer that the Kent State killings occurred. Like many, I went down to the U.S. Consulate, with former CHOM DJ Angus McKay (who also worked on the magazine), on Dr. Penfield Avenue (then with a different Anglo name, was it McTavish?) to protest, until they turned the fire hoses on us. It was a big crowd and since we weren't the first to arrive, we were at the rear of the crowd, so we didn't get sprayed.

That autumn, exhausted from all the free albums I had to review that were not my first choice, I bought Young's "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere" with my own money, and spent many an hour that autumn playing along to that album in my room, trying to emulate his tone and feel. He's not a highly technical player, but he knows how to go for broke. Some of the live Youtubes of "Cortez the Killer" may strike one as excessively long, but on closer inspection he manages to build melodic solos in a methodical way that maintains your interest. Not flashy, just sincerely emotional. He also knows how to use the butt of his picking hand to restrict sustain in useful ways, which he clearly demonstrates here. Maybe it's just something you have to work on when you play a big hollowbody that is always at risk of feeding back if you let things ring out too long.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Saw Neil in Barrie one year (Molson Park?) a long time ago. Anyway, it was an all day thing with bands. Screaming Trees, See Spot Run, Jewel, etc. etc. Then Oasis came on and then Neil headlined the show with Crazy Horse. IMHO, Neil WAS the show. Stunning performance. A bunch of electric tunes, then him solo with the acoustic, then more with the band, a few more acoustic numbers, then the band joined him again. Had to have been 4 encores. He rocked the place. A real icon of the music industry.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
He played at my first high school dance in 1963. Small mining town in Northern Ontario. With the Squires. They came in the hearse (Long May You Run).

My little teenage mind was blown. I didn't know the guitar could be played higher up the neck than the nut. I talked to him. I still like some of his songs in spite of his annoying celebrity-saviour persona.

I liked the performance you posted @Kerry Brown. I didn't think much about the incident at the time and I was quite surprised at my "square" parents outrage. "You don't shoot kids!"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Saw Neil in Barrie one year (Molson Park?) a long time ago. Anyway, it was an all day thing with bands. Screaming Trees, See Spot Run, Jewel, etc. etc. Then Oasis came on and then Neil headlined the show with Crazy Horse. IMHO, Neil WAS the show. Stunning performance. A bunch of electric tunes, then him solo with the acoustic, then more with the band, a few more acoustic numbers, then the band joined him again. Had to have been 4 encores. He rocked the place. A real icon of the music industry.
That was an awesome show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
08/31/96. I was at that concert as well. I normally have a good memory but don't recall much about it.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I love Neil's guitar playing. Learned a lot from him, specially on an acoustic (no pick!).
I like his syncopated strumming like in Cowgirl in the Sand - acoustic version from Live at Massey Hall or 4 Way Street with CSNY. I like his overdriven electric tone and solos in Powderfinger or Southern Man or many more...
Thanks to Neil I never use a pick on an acoustic. Hitting strings down with fingernails is not as precise of course but that's the beauty of this style.
I love Neil's guitar playing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm a bit younger and didn't get into Neil Young until my late 20's, currently 34. There is just something about his raw passion and song writing that just amazes me. He can take something that is seemingly quite simple and make it a master piece. As of late i have been influenced by his playing and even my 7 year old asks to Listen to some Neil Young. A couple weeks ago my kids asked to look at a picture of Neil to which they responded "ohh, Grandpas cuter"

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I was there too, and I was there only to see Neil (even though we sat through all the other bands). It seemed like that was the same for most of the people there as well judging by how much bigger the crowed got when Neil and Crazy Horse came out.

That's still my all time favourite show. I think they played for a solid three hours. The only song they didn't do that I wanted to hear was Cowgirl in the Sand, but I heard everything else I wanted to hear, so I was good.

Here's the set list from the show:

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Pocahontas / Big Time / Slip Away / The Needle And The Damage Done / Helpless / Heart Of Gold / Sugar Mountain / Cinnamon Girl / F*!#in' Up / Cortez The Killer / Music Arcade / Like A Hurricane // Sedan Delivery / Tonight's The Night / Roll Another Number (For The Road) // Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll / Rockin' In The Free World

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
A lot of people can’t stand his solos. They are little different. He goes his own way. You can’t say he lacks skills. This is a virtuoso performance, just him and a big hollowbody guitar. If I was able to emulate any tone and style this would be it. The first couple of minutes are him talking. If you’re not into that skip over it to the song.

I just watched the video you posted in the beginning. Playing solo on a distorted guitar and this syncopated rhythm that I mentioned and like so much .. love it. Great topic!

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I've seen Neil Young live twice--completely different periods & styles--bti enjoyed both.

I think he is seriously underrated as an acoustic guitarist--and even on the electric guitar.
He's written some great riffs and he has been a huge influence on y playing.
Cowgirl in the Sand, T-Bone and Hey Hey My My are etched into me as far as feel and just going for it--and not worrying about technique.

Reactions: Kerry Brown

·
Premium Member
25,887 Posts
I've seen Neil Young live twice--completely different periods & styles--bti enjoyed both.

I think he is seriously underrated as an acoustic guitarist--and even on the electric guitar.
He's written some greta riffs and he has been a huge influence on y playing.
Cowgirl in the Sand, T-Bone and Hey Hey My My are etched into me as far as feel and just going for it--and not worrying about technique.
Many critics have noted how Greta Van Fleet copies Led Zeppelin a lot. But if Neil is doing Greta riffs, does that mean he's really trying to copy Jimmy Page? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
17,935 Posts
I love Neil Young's writing. I love his acoustic work.

I don't enjoy his electric guitar style. I think he's an amazing talent and that's just the way he likes to play. It just doesn't appeal to me and that's ok.

There's no explaining it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts