The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I've been struggling in searching a cool baritone guitar I could purchase, but I still hesitate between some different axes and brands, regarding to prices, caracteristics, and everything... Moreover, as I can't -unfortunately- try one, and need to order one online if I really want to know how it sounds and how to play it, I wanted to ask for your help cause there a a lot of questions I'm asking myself right now.

First of all, these are the baritones I've found that could be O.K with my spending limit, and what I think about it; please let me know what you consider would be the best for me, or if you've already heard about these axes:
- the Squier Jazzmaster Modified Vintage Baritone: horrible Antigua colour (which is very important in the choice I'm gonna make), doesn't have a vibrato, but cheaper in cost, sounds pretty cool -according to videos I've been watching- and I saw that it was a very well done instrument, technicaly: it has a 30" scale and it's tuned A to A so I don't know if it's that correct in the idea of getting a real baritone: is this a real baritone???
- the Eastwood Sidejack Baritone DLX: kinda cool (even if I'm really not into Mosrite-like designs), great instrument as I heard, it has a vibrato and it seems to be a genuine baritone, from B to B and with a 28" scale; but there's a problem with it cause I play alone, I have a project on my own with a RC-50 loop, and in my country, there's already a very famous guy doing music like I'd like to do, who performs with... THIS Eastwood Sidejack Baritone... Goddamn'...
- the Hagstrom Viking Baritone: don't know much about the semi hollow body, it looks and sounds really great but I'm not sure it could be O.K with some fuzz or just a like crush as I'd like to play with... and it's way more expensive for me...
- the Squier Bass VI: it's NOT a baritone... I've read that it's impossible to play power chords with it, the E string sounds terrible -apparently- but it could be an alternative for my playing, using it as a guitar or -maybe- as a baritone-like... I don't know...

Well, as you can see, I'm very very doubtful about it, because I wanna make sure I need this baritone, and not a regular guitar. I think it could perfectly fit with my voice range (pretty low), and I want to discover new sounds and new playing styles. Also, I'm really into punk rock, indie, post-punk and post-hardcore music, and I adore noisy and experimental stuff. Maybe it could be a good choice.
Another thing: I would like to be sure my baritone could "cohabitate" with other standard-tuned instruments, cause I'm gonna play various instruments with my RC-50 loop, mostly the bass and an other acoustic guitar. Isn't it too difficult for the 2 differents tunings to be played together?
And the last thing which is very important: I travel a lot with my job, sometimes I leave my country and go overseas for 6 months or a year. I would like to purchase and instrument that could be complete and well balanced for what I want to do -even if I'm thinking of using it as my principal instrument. That's why I thought about the Bass VI, which is kinda hybride between bass and guitar, I could use both at the same time... dunno...

If you have questions to ask me in order for me to make sure I'm gonna go with the right choice, don't hesitate: I'll really appreciate your help with this problem I has and it's kinda driving me crazy right now because I've been studying the whole thing for months... In a few weeks I won't even have sufficiently money left, haha, that's why it would be very cool if you could indicate me your opinion, or maybe other instruments with the same price range that I don't know for the moment...

Anyway, in just a few words, THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance, I would really appreciate this...

Regards,

Benjamin

(P.S: And sorry for my bad english and for the grammatical mistakes I've made...)

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
- the Squier Jazzmaster Modified Vintage Baritone: horrible Antigua colour (which is very important in the choice I'm gonna make), doesn't have a vibrato, but cheaper in cost, sounds pretty cool -according to videos I've been watching- and I saw that it was a very well done instrument, technicaly: it has a 30" scale and it's tuned A to A so I don't know if it's that correct in the idea of getting a real baritone: is this a real baritone???
Yes, it's a baritone. A-a is a valid tuning as well as B-b. The advantage of this instrument would be the fact you could string it as a Bass VI or a baritone. Disadvantage would be the longer scale for playing chords in baritone tuning. It's also the ugliest colour I've ever seen on a Fender instrument.

- the Eastwood Sidejack Baritone DLX: kinda cool (even if I'm really not into Mosrite-like designs), great instrument as I heard, it has a vibrato and it seems to be a genuine baritone, from B to B and with a 28" scale; but there's a problem with it cause I play alone, I have a project on my own with a RC-50 loop, and in my country, there's already a very famous guy doing music like I'd like to do, who performs with... THIS Eastwood Sidejack Baritone... Goddamn'...
A good choice for baritone. Who cares who else is using it. Jimmy Page and Pete Townsend both played Les Pauls; no one ever accused them of sounding alike or being copycats.

- the Hagstrom Viking Baritone: don't know much about the semi hollow body, it looks and sounds really great but I'm not sure it could be O.K with some fuzz or just a like crush as I'd like to play with... and it's way more expensive for me...
Haven't seen one.

- the Squier Bass VI: it's NOT a baritone... I've read that it's impossible to play power chords with it, the E string sounds terrible -apparently- but it could be an alternative for my playing, using it as a guitar or -maybe- as a baritone-like... I don't know...
OK, this is my area of expertise. Don't. It's not going to work for what you want, and will not play properly out of the box. It needs work to set up properly, and the strings that come with it are awful. The tessitura of a baritone would be better suited to what you describe. The trem works well, but many people have issues with the Jazzmaster style bridge.

Well, as you can see, I'm very very doubtful about it, because I wanna make sure I need this baritone, and not a regular guitar. I think it could perfectly fit with my voice range (pretty low), and I want to discover new sounds and new playing styles. Also, I'm really into punk rock, indie, post-punk and post-hardcore music, and I adore noisy and experimental stuff. Maybe it could be a good choice.
Another thing: I would like to be sure my baritone could "cohabitate" with other standard-tuned instruments, cause I'm gonna play various instruments with my RC-50 loop, mostly the bass and an other acoustic guitar. Isn't it too difficult for the 2 differents tunings to be played together?
And the last thing which is very important: I travel a lot with my job, sometimes I leave my country and go overseas for 6 months or a year. I would like to purchase and instrument that could be complete and well balanced for what I want to do -even if I'm thinking of using it as my principal instrument. That's why I thought about the Bass VI, which is kinda hybride between bass and guitar, I could use both at the same time... dunno...

If you have questions to ask me in order for me to make sure I'm gonna go with the right choice, don't hesitate: I'll really appreciate your help with this problem I has and it's kinda driving me crazy right now because I've been studying the whole thing for months... In a few weeks I won't even have sufficiently money left, haha, that's why it would be very cool if you could indicate me your opinion, or maybe other instruments with the same price range that I don't know for the moment...
You may also want to check out the Danelectro Baritone Guitar. 28" scale, tuned B-b, though with the right strings, A-a would work fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Merlin, thanks a lot for your accurate answer. I think you're right about the Bass VI, it's almost the same as all I've read about it, it looks like it's not a reliable instrument at all.

Regarding Danelectro, yeah, I've been starting to look for some, but I didn't manage to find one with a shorter scale. Apparently, the 56 Bartone has a 29,75" scale, that's why I was thinking about the Squier Jazzmaster Baritone, it would be almost the same thing, isn't it? Haven't found other baritones by Danelectro.

If you have some Danelectros -currently available- with some 28" scale to recommand me, well, it would be cool, thank you in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just tried the Hagstrom out today...it was surprisingly slick. I had a vintage Viking that weighed a ton so I wasn't sure what to expect even with this bari being semi. It played awesome and sounded real nasty with some dirt. I really like a Dano too but the Hag was pretty badass!

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Hi Merlin, thanks a lot for your accurate answer. I think you're right about the Bass VI, it's almost the same as all I've read about it, it looks like it's not a reliable instrument at all.
To clarify; I never said it's not reliable. Once it's properly set up (neck shimmed, new strings, some bridge mods), it is very reliable. Given your description of the use you intend, I think it would be a poor choice for you.

The Squier baritone, with it's long scale would give you a lot of flexibility.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I've owned the Squire for about a year, but have to admit I haven't used it much. I bought it to have as a different flavour to add to some atmospheric tracks I was working on.

I love the sound of a baritone, and it hasn't disappointed me any time I have used it. Since I don't use it on stage, or look at myself in the mirror when I play, I don't mind the colour. ;)

The only thing I would consider changing is to possibly swap the bridge and add a trem bar. It's a great instrument for the price.

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
Used PRS Mike Mushok SE or the new baritone 277 get my vote - look used if cost of new is a concern.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I agree the Squier Jazzmaster could do with a better paint job but of the ones mentioned it's the one I would lean toward if it was me.
Either that or the Hagstrom.
I'm not a big fan of F-holes though so I might still steer to the Squier.
That's mostly because I know nothing absolutely about Eastwood guitars and I don't care for the Squier Bass VI.

I have a baritone acoustic guitar.
(It's for sale at the moment, see the for sale section and please excuse my shameless plug)
I tend to agree that for jazzy chords that require extended reach the scale length can be a bit of a nuisance but for plain old open chords, commonly used barre chord shapes and most triads I don't find it to be anything but easier with more room to fit my sausages into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, except for the fact I mentionned (the guy who does great music just like I have the intention to create, like, solo with just a baritone an spoken word things, I knew the artist but I never heard a single song of his, until I found out that he used the very same instrument, which made me doubtful... kinda crazy), Eastwood Guitars seem pretty cool, don't you think?

They're genuine baritones, tuned B-B, with normal scales for baris (28").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts