The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions on a 3 channel all tube combo for smaller venues.
Features I am looking for are 3 channels with at least two independent eq, boost and doesn't weigh a ton :)

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
A good two channel amp and a boost pedal. I had 4 channels and only needed two. Now I have one and two pedals for more and max haha.

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
My LSS has two independent channels, and with an addition of one wire and a couple of solder changes, the Drive is footswitchable for a third-ish channel (adding another adjustable tube stage to Ch 2). Light by Mesa standards at about 60 lbs. It's got good wheels! And just the right size to work it in small to medium venues. I love it.

Some don't like Ch 2 - I do (Reeder mod). The clean channel is universally praised.

But I think a lot of two channel amps and a good drive or boost pedal should get you there. I find it easy to get 4 basic tones with my two channel amps that way. And add a comp and/or distortion pedal to mix things up. Pedals aren't for everyone - I get that. I'm drawing blanks thinking of 3 channel combos that don't weigh a lot (and cost a lot).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part of it for me is I never end up liking a boost pedal. Clean or dirty. I always find they take away more than they add. I like the raise in volume to come from the power amp. I like to hear the amps natural gain and I don't like when the signal gets squashed. Switchable effects loops with an adjustable volume is my favorite way to get volume boost. I like the Bad Cat Unleash for that reason as I can gig my Plexie and have a second volume option for soloing. The ReVv has every feature I look for plus more great very usable/practical features I've come to enjoy. Sadly they do not make the 740 in a 1x12 combo format. Therefore the search continues... Maybe a Tubemeister 36 1x12 is the ticket.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
@Hamstrung has one of these, but, in a head/cab configuration.
Maybe he'll chime in on it's sound quality.
I have a Traynor Ironhorse head with a 112 cab.
3 channel switchable (2 button foot), clean/ pure (crunch)/solo.
Also 40/15 w switch.
I'm still loving my H&K. It has three channels but no boost. I personally like the clean channel on this one a lot. Matching cab is pretty light with a Celestion Vintage 30.

Reactions: Lemmy Hangslong

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
Part of it for me is I never end up liking a boost pedal. Clean or dirty. I always find they take away more than they add. I like the raise in volume to come from the power amp. I like to hear the amps natural gain and I don't like when the signal gets squashed. Switchable effects loops with an adjustable volume is my favorite way to get volume boost. I like the Bad Cat Unleash for that reason as I can gig my Plexie and have a second volume option for soloing. The ReVv has every feature I look for plus more great very usable/practical features I've come to enjoy. Sadly they do not make the 740 in a 1x12 combo format. Therefore the search continues... Maybe a Tubemeister 36 1x12 is the ticket.

Ever use a clean boost in your fx loop? I used a TC Spark booster in the loop with 3 different amps (Dual Rec/SigX/410HJS) with excellent results. Not quite but almost on topic, I know.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hammerhands. I do like it but it is not the greatest for gigging and likely way better for recording. Tones are great but features are not for what I'm looking for.

Distortion... TSL or DSL are of interest for sure.

Keto... no I have not done that. I like the TC Spark. Its one of the few I actually do like. Maybe I should try that. Thank you for the great suggestion.

I'm gonna go look at a H&K TM 36... I do like these amps. Hamstrung is right, great clean channel, crunch is on point, and high gain at lower gain setting is great for my purposes. Its got to sound good in that 1x12 combo format. Cant fault the 2525C there. Sounds excellent in the 1x12 format. The Greenback doesn't handle too much gain well tho and it gets worse the louder ya play it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts