The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone in Ottawa kind enough to let me borrow his vintage 808 or TS9 for 1 hour to make a comparison against mine?
The reason for this unusual request is that I'm helping a software developer to make the perfect recreation of a TS plugin and we noticed that mine doesn't sound like the new ones cause it was made during the Ibanez/Maxon era.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
I would happily loan you something of mine, but I'm too far away. The thing one needs to remember, though is that simply using the component values that Ibanez and Maxon used does not guarantee any sort of "true" TS-808/9 tone. There will certainly be a strong resemblance between any two builds or emulations, but the use of 5% resistors, and capacitors with even wider tolerances will mean unit-to-unit variation.

As such, any plug-in should probably incorporate 5% adjustments in a few of the areas most likely to affect tone, such that the end-user could bring it closer to what they consider to be "a good one" (and TS afficionados DO shop around for such things). The pivot-points I would consider to be strong influences on final tone would be:
a) the "ground leg" of the clipping stage (the 4k7/47nf pair); varying these two components by +/-5% can result in a range of low-end roll-offs ranging from 653hz to 798hz, with the "stock" nominal rolloff of 720hz.
b) the high-end rolloff as he gain is increased;
c) the lowpass filter (1k/.22uf) immediately after the clipping stage, can also vary is actual high-cut from 656hz to 801hz, depending upon actual (rather than simply nominal) component vaues;
d) same deal for the tonestack.

The Boss SD-1 has the same issues and same basic structure, with more gain available and a 2+1, rather than 1+1, diode complement. An "ideal" plugin would permit obtaining both TS and SD sounds. We can discuss once I'm back in Ottawa...and conscious...on June 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts