The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's a dumb question for you guys who really know that for evidence but what is the difference between a Telecaster, an Esquier and a Nocaster? I can't figure it out! I look the "Show your Tele" thread on TGP right now and I see many of them but can't see the difference!

Thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
A Nocaster is a regular telecaster, but it only has the Fender name on the headstock. This is because the original Teles were called Broadcasters but that name was owned by Gretsch (i think they used it for drums under the name broadkaster, but i could be remembering wrong) at the time. A few Teles got out with no name before Fender started calling them Telecasters. These are called Nocasters.

An Esquire does not have the neck pickup. Bridge only. It's selector switch picks between 3 tone options (no tone control, tone control, pre-wired tone roll off)

·
Registered
24 Posts
A Nocaster is a regular telecaster, but it only has the Fender name on the headstock. This is because the original Teles were called Broadcasters but that name was owned by Gretsch (i think they used it for drums under the name broadkaster, but i could be remembering wrong) at the time. A few Teles got out with no name before Fender started calling them Telecasters. These are called Nocasters.

An Esquire does not have the neck pickup. Bridge only. It's selector switch picks between 3 tone options (no tone control, tone control, pre-wired tone roll off)

Exactly! :)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
has anyone here ever put a "Broadcaster" logo on a tele build?

I've always wanted to do that

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The Esquires generally still had the neck pickup cavirty.

If you buy a Broadcaster, No-caster or an early 50's Tele reissue, they will have variations in the tone circuits, sometimes similar to the Esquire.

Here Gruhn says some Broadcaster prototypes and early Esquires didn't have a truss rod.

Broadcaster wiring

Interesting video on '53 wiring,

·
Mad Strappier
495 Posts
then theres the whole la cabronita aesthetic too, so many variations there too

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe it's a dumb question for you guys who really know that for evidence but what is the difference between a Telecaster, an Esquier and a Nocaster? I can't figure it out! I look the "Show your Tele" thread on TGP right now and I see many of them but can't see the difference!

Thanks! :D
Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to all who replied; I'm now a little smarter than I was two minutes ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts