The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alrighty people. I'm going to need your help, I'm putting together a new project and I am in need of at least five top British guitar songs or rock songs that are "dance floor" fillers.

The project is a sort of Retro backpackers party.
5 piece, no keybords (yet).
As you all know Whistler and Banff are second homes to 40,000 backpackers, of which a good chunk are Australian, New Zealand and British, for a good six months of the year.

As an expat Aussie, I have the NZ & OZ songs together, (@Lola, yes, I have chosen a great AC/DC track.) but the British bass player & I have been coming up with differences.

So he is (as a Brit) thinking of 5 Australian songs that are typically thought of by the Brits, and I have to think of five British songs typically thought of by Australian's.

So I don't want "Come on Eileen" , "Wonderwall" or Spice Girls.

Looking around the whole British rock scene was so damn depressing. Smiths, Cure, political rage & electro pop.

So 2 that I have come up with are:
Stereophonic-Help Me

And Supermassive Black Hole - Muse

Sent from my "other" other brain.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Current'ish stuff...The Darkness and Wolfmother pop to mind. If you want to go back a ways...Stones, Who, Led Zep???

I love challenges like this on a Friday morning...I'll be back with more soon enough!!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How far back do you want to go? Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison...
Bit too far back, was trying for an eclectic selection without being done too many time. Thanks.
Current'ish stuff...The Darkness and Wolfmother pop to mind. If you want to go back a ways...Stones, Who, Led Zep???

I love challenges like this on a Friday morning...I'll be back with more soon enough!!
Ok, if you do a "Stones, Who or Zepp" it has to be done right or in such a way as to make it your own. IMO.
And something they know, but not heard for a while.
(EG, for the AC/DC we went away from "Shook Ne All Night Long" for "If you you want Blood")

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Bowie of cause......there will be something.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oi! Wolfmother are Australian thankyou very much! ;p

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Search top 40 and grab the brit ones haha.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Search top 40 and grab the brit ones haha.
Thanks Budda (insert sarcastic tone)

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
How is this for British

<insert more sarcasm>
</insert more sarcasm>

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Thirty years ago I wanted the band to learn a crazy song called "Bionic Man" by The Fabulous Poodles. The leader refused. But one night in a bar, he saw someone put it on the jukebox (remember those?). EVERYBODY GOT UP AND DANCED. We learned it immediately.

Paint It Black by the Stones
Long cool Woman in a Black Dress by the Hollies
Sunshine of Your Love by Cream

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Alrighty people. I'm going to need your help, I'm putting together a new project and I am in need of at least five top British guitar songs or rock songs that are "dance floor" fillers.

The project is a sort of Retro backpackers party.
5 piece, no keybords (yet).
As you all know Whistler and Banff are second homes to 40,000 backpackers, of which a good chunk are Australian, New Zealand and British, for a good six months of the year.

As an expat Aussie, I have the NZ & OZ songs together, (@Lola, yes, I have chosen a great AC/DC track.) but the British bass player & I have been coming up with differences.

So he is (as a Brit) thinking of 5 Australian songs that are typically thought of by the Brits, and I have to think of five British songs typically thought of by Australian's.

So I don't want "Come on Eileen" , "Wonderwall" or Spice Girls.

Looking around the whole British rock scene was so damn depressing. Smiths, Cure, political rage & electro pop.

So 2 that I have come up with are:
Stereophonic-Help Me

And Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
Definitely Muse and kudos for picking Stereophonics! They're awesome, but I disagree with the song. I'd go with Bartender and the Thief or Dakota.

Someone mentioned The Jam's Town Called Malice and I totally agree!

And not all Cure songs are depressing - go with In Between Days.

On top of that you have lots of 90's stuff that's not oasis to choose from - Blur, Radiohead, Robbie Williams, Manic Street Preachers, etc.

Remember, you're playing to backpackers. There are bands that are HUGE in the UK that barely register here (kinda like how no one knows the Hip outside of Canada). Bands like Blur, Manic Street Preachers, Stone Roses, etc. were fairly popular here, but were ENORMOUS over the pond.

Also, if you're doing Aussie stuff, make sure Powderfinger makes an appearance!!!

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Thanks Budda (insert sarcastic tone)

Im not joking. You want to fill the floor and use british songs? Theres a list of the top songs that most people like, and then you just filter for the british artists. Learn a few and watch the magic happen.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts