The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this pedal stuff. Right now I'm using a multi-effects processor, a Digitech Rp 150. I think it's great. I was wondering if it is better to have multi-effects processor or individual pedals? I guess it depends on the quality, I know that some of the effects on my pedal sound simulated. Please give feedback and any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
LOL, how much money do you have?

You can get better multi effects units for a couple of hundred $ more, but if you go with individual pedals you can be into $1000 and more to get anywhere near the variety you get with your present unit.

Does a $200. Keeley compressor sound better than the one in a typical multi effects unit? A little. Does an $100+ tube screamer sound better than the one in your unit? Not much.

Personally I've gone both routes and now I use a Vox Tonelab LE, which is more than just an effects unit. It actually replaces the amp as well. In terms of flexibility, simplicity, overall sound as well as cost effectiveness I'm very happy with it.

Multi effects units are great bang for the buck and have definite advantages IMO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It depends on what you want as effects. I have only drive and wah in my set up so. I use an MI audio Tube Zone for my main sound, A tone Facor or Catalinbread silver Kiss for solo boosting. If i where to need reverb, delay, chorus....and all that maybe i would use a rack for the swirl and time, but still keep the drive in pedals

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've tried plenty of multi-effects and I've always prefered singles. Yeah, they're more expensive... but who cares? I'd rather get something I'm going to like instead of settling for something cheaper... they sound much more natural. Listening to digital overdrive / distortion tones makes me want to cry.

The only thing multi-effects are good for are home recording as far as I'm concerned... like a PODxt for example. Even then, I just bought a cheap mixer, plugged it into the PC, got an SM57 and mic'd the amp.

As for what pedals you'll need... it's up to the tone(s) you want. I use a MXR Wylde Overdrive to push the tubes, Boss CE-5 Chorus (soon to be replaced by a MXR Stereo Chorus) is always on to fatten up the tone, Dunlop Wylde Wah as a treble boost for some solos, MXR EVH Phase 90 for the occasional solo for a nice effect, Boss TU-2 for when I've tuning after putting new strings on and Boss GE-7 to shape my tone (soon to be gone, buying a KFK 10 band). Sometimes I'll turn a little reverb on the amp, the footswitch for the amp can turn it on and off so sometimes I use a bit on solos.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
I've tried plenty of multi-effects and I've always prefered singles. Yeah, they're more expensive... but who cares? I'd rather get something I'm going to like instead of settling for something cheaper... they sound much more natural. Listening to digital overdrive / distortion tones makes me want to cry.

The only thing multi-effects are good for are home recording as far as I'm concerned... like a PODxt for example. Even then, I just bought a cheap mixer, plugged it into the PC, got an SM57 and mic'd the amp.

As for what pedals you'll need... it's up to the tone(s) you want. I use a MXR Wylde Overdrive to push the tubes, Boss CE-5 Chorus (soon to be replaced by a MXR Stereo Chorus) is always on to fatten up the tone, Dunlop Wylde Wah as a treble boost for some solos, MXR EVH Phase 90 for the occasional solo for a nice effect, Boss TU-2 for when I've tuning after putting new strings on and Boss GE-7 to shape my tone (soon to be gone, buying a KFK 10 band). Sometimes I'll turn a little reverb on the amp, the footswitch for the amp can turn it on and off so sometimes I use a bit on solos.

Opinions will vary for sure.

I had a pedalboard with a bunch of true bypass boutique level pedals running into a tube amp and frankly the only people who were impressed were a few guitarists and only when they took a look.

As far as sound goes, and particularly in terms of FOH sound, the money would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
As you say, opinions will vary. In the past few years, I've upped the quality of my pedals and amp(s) fairly significantly, and its only after doing that that I have started to get a lot of compliments about my tone. Most of the compliments actually come from non-musicians - usually along the lines of "Wow, what kind of guitar is that? It sounds great!"

Well I went with a good basic tube amp (Traynor YCV40 and YCX12 cab) and some very good pedals (Keeley comp, Catilinbread SC OD, Visual sound Chorus/echo and a true bypass crybaby). Now I'll not deny that throwing another $3000 or more at a high end tube amp would result in an incremental improvement in my sound, but the improvement I hear with the Tonelab LE is more than incremental, it's night and day.

I do believe much of a player's sound is in his hands, but well, I just reduced the cost of my rig by....oh, say 75% and came out with a sound that is miles ahead. Also I reduced my set up time, weight and space to transport, and space needed on stage.

For me it's a no-brainer (don't take that as an insult please. I can only judge my own situation)

I think you should have a guitar, amp and pedals that you love the sound of and that inspire you to play. Whether that's a Squire strat into a POD or an R9 into a Dumble doesn't matter. If it inspires you to play, it's a good rig. If not, it ain't.
Again, I agree, but I think in many cases we as guitarists don't give enough thought to the sound of the band as a whole.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
JSX + single effects of your choice = blowing away most... hell, I'll say ANY multi-effect units out there. The JSX can handle any genre you throw at it and handle it well.

Multi-effects should also be known as settling... you're settling because you can't afford all seperate pedals and amps, correct?

Okay, so say they based an amp model on a Mesa Dual Rec. You think the multi-effect unit is going to sound just as good? No, otherwise Mesa wouldn't be in business. There's a reason all-tube amps cost more and multi-effects cost less and it's not 'cause they're smaller or weigh less!

Only advantages of a multi-effect unit is the space/weight and the price. But is settling for a digital tone worth it? If you ask me, no. A bunch of people around here play with that digital crap (even digital single effect distortion pedals)... as soon as I hear it I think to myself "gross..." and leave the room. Painful to listen to.

I'll put it this way... how many pros do you know that use digital amp models? I can't think of one, and there's a reason for that!

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
JSX + single effects of your choice = blowing away most... hell, I'll say ANY multi-effect units out there. The JSX can handle any genre you throw at it and handle it well.

Multi-effects should also be known as settling... you're settling because you can't afford all seperate pedals and amps, correct?

Okay, so say they based an amp model on a Mesa Dual Rec. You think the multi-effect unit is going to sound just as good? No, otherwise Mesa wouldn't be in business. There's a reason all-tube amps cost more and multi-effects cost less and it's not 'cause they're smaller or weigh less!

Only advantages of a multi-effect unit is the space/weight and the price. But is settling for a digital tone worth it? If you ask me, no. A bunch of people around here play with that digital crap (even digital single effect distortion pedals)... as soon as I hear it I think to myself "gross..." and leave the room. Painful to listen to.

I'll put it this way... how many pros do you know that use digital amp models? I can't think of one, and there's a reason for that!

LMAO

Funny stuff.

Settling?

Ah me.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
You're right, the truth can be funny sometimes!

Easy man. If you bothered to read the thread you'd see that I actually just switched back from a tube amp and pedalboard. Stating that the only reason I or anyone else would use a modeler or multi effects is because we can't afford anything better is pretty condescending don't you think?

I deliberately sought out the modeler because it sounds better, not because it's cheaper. The money is just a nice side effect.

You're entitled to your opinion but try not to be too unsulting about it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Easy man. If you bothered to read the thread you'd see that I actually just switched back from a tube amp and pedalboard. Stating that the only reason I or anyone else would wuse a modeler or multi effects is because we can't afford anything better is pretty condescending don't you think?

I deliberately sought out the modeler because it sounds better, not because it's cheaper. The money is just a nice side effect.

You're entitled to your opinion but try not to be too unsulting abut it.
Ugh, no I don't. Quality tube amp + single effects will blow any of them away. Here's an example... some gear my bud Stephen owns:

Why does he need all that when he's got a PODxt Pro?! I mean, if it sounds so good why the hell would he spend all that cash to buy the amps? Because the tube shit sounds better! He uses the Laney live and the POD to record.

Meh, I know what my ear tells me.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~yavin4/nr2_balad.mp3

There's some digital tone for you... *cuts his ears off*

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
Ugh, no I don't. Quality tube amp + single effects will blow any of them away. Here's an example... some gear my bud Stephen owns:

Why does he need all that when he's got a PODxt Pro?! I mean, if it sounds so good why the hell would he spend all that cash to buy the amps? Because the tube shit sounds better! He uses the Laney live and the POD to record.

Meh, I know what my ear tells me.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~yavin4/nr2_balad.mp3

There's some digital tone for you... *cuts his ears off*

If your friend feels he needs that stuff, great.

Most people I know who use modelers don't use all that stuff, and quite frankly using a modeler with an amp is a bit like mic'ing your amp and running that signal into a second amp. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to imagine how that will sound.

Also most people who turn their noses up at this technology plug in with the factory presets (admittedly over effected and practically useless) and don't take the time to tweak the sounds.

Again opinions vary. Mine is based on long years of experience both live and in the studio.

If you are unable to get good sounds out of a modeler that's cool. Others can however.

I should also add that the modelers I see in those pics are NOT what I would select, and neither are the pedals he has.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I never said they did... I'm saying he bought the modeller, wasn't happy with the digital tone and bought tube amps so it actually sounded natural.

Man has been playing 15 years and has messed with the POD for hours on end and couldn't get anything close to what his tube amps put out.

Care to share these "good sounds"? Post some clips.

The gear he chose doesn't really make a difference does it? $900 (before taxes) modeller should be able to put out some decent sounds eh?

*patiently waits for godly digital tones*

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
I never said they did... I'm saying he bought the modeller, wasn't happy with the digital tone and bought tube amps so it actually sounded natural.

Man has been playing 15 years and has messed with the POD for hours on end and couldn't get anything close to what his tube amps put out.

Care to share these "good sounds"? Post some clips.

Well I have some links on my site that you're welcome to check out. They were recorded with the old SE I had.

As for live clips I don't have any recent ones as I just did my first gig with the new modeller.

The video clips in my site are all recorded with a tube amp and some rather expensive pedals.

What about you? Are you prepared to post some clips of that amazing tube tone, LOL?

http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomtommyknockers

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well I have some links on my site that you're welcome to check out. They were recorded with the old SE I had.

As for live clips I don't have any recent ones as I just did my first gig with the new modeller.

The video clips in my site are all recorded with a tube amp and some rather expensive pedals.

What about you? Are you prepared to post some clips of that amazing tube tone, LOL?

http://www.myspace.com/wwwmyspacecomtommyknockers
Haha, sounds like my friends Digitech RP.

http://www.stephenplatt.net/music/soloclip.mp3

There's Stephen playing through his Laney in the studio. I'll gladly record some of me when everyone is gone so I can crank my Marshall and get that nice overdrive.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
Ahh, we're going to age jokes huh... I see your 46... don't worry, I won't touch the topic, ;)

Actually as you can see I edited that post, but not quick enough.

Not all seventeen year olds are quite as knowledgable and experienced as you are, LOL.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Actually as you can see I edited that post, but not quick enough.

Not all seventeen year olds are quite as knowledgable and experienced as you are, LOL.
I get it... it takes 46 years to be experienced enough to develop an opinion or a decent ear? Bitch please, if anything your hearing has got worse.

How about my step dad who has been playing for atleast 25 years? Strange he has the same opinion huh? Or Stephen who has been playing for 15 years and agrees even when he owns BOTH tubes and modelling? Weird how that works isn't it?

Made my point, I'll leave you alone now. Hope you didn't get too stressed out, wouldn't want the last few hairs to fall out, LOL.

See, I can be funny too.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
I get it... it takes 46 years to be experienced enough to develop an opinion or a decent ear? Bitch please, if anything your hearing has got worse.

How about my step dad who has been playing for atleast 25 years? Strange he has the same opinion huh? Or Stephen who has been playing for 15 years and agrees even when he owns BOTH tubes and modelling? Weird how that works isn't it?

Made my point, I'll leave you alone now. Hope you didn't get too stressed out, wouldn't want the last few hairs to fall out, LOL.

See, I can be funny too.

You've made my point for me.

Have a nice day.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts