The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am just outside the city (North West), I just don't drive into the city anymore because of anxiety issues due to commuting there in the past.

I have a friend flying in from Calgary for the Foo Fighters show in July who got me a free ticket and wants to go.

I was looking for advice on getting down there. I thought they may be a hotel outside of Toronto that is close to the subway line? Or, what are the options if they get a hotel at the airport for getting down there without me actually driving into the city?

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
There's the infamous UP Express, a rail option that runs from Pearson airport to Union Station in downtown Toronto.

The Rogers Centre is a ~10 min hike west of Union Station.

UP Express

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Why not just air bnb it and use TTC/GO to get where you need to be?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Stay downtown. Please don’t make your friend stay out by the airport. Downtown Toronto is awesome, once you get there. Isn’t there a train you can take?

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so to answer a few questions:

1. I didn't think of air BB, thanks. That and Uber could be a good option, I could get something out of downtown so I wouldn't have to drive right into downtown.
2. I am aware of the Union walk path, thanks. Just thinking of the best way to get to it if we did that.
3. He's literally flying in for the show and flying out the next day (works for Air Canada). So checking out any sites is not an option really. And he's seen Toronto. any of that stuff isn't part of the equation. I have spent years of my life in downtown Toronto, it's not awesome for me hah. No offense.

He's actually coming from your neck of the woods Sneaky.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'd have more anxiety on public transit in TO than driving there.
I had an accident commuting from an hour North of the city, and one other time saw bodies on the road from an insane rollover. I was already anxious and it just kind did me in for that drive. Not to mention, coming from North of the city, there's so such thing as a time that's not rush hour. I am honestly sweating just typing about it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Yeah, rollovers can eject passengers violently and car fires are another one that I don't like looking at always afraid there'll be someone still in the car. When I come on something like that I usually just focus on picking my way through the carnage without hitting anything or cutting a tire on the debris and so on. I live about 10 minutes west of the city center if no traffic and I never go near it if possible. Fortunately I'm right by the Gardner ramp so just get on the highway and gone. Went to the vintage guitar thing near Waterloo or whatever it was a few months ago and a pickup truck lost a wheel on the 401 maybe 80 yards in front of me; kinda got my attention for a few seconds as I was trying figure out where not to be when the shit came down. It's amazing how high those tires bounce when they're galloping down the road.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Stay downtown, or get a hotel by Yorkdale mall, which is on th subway line, and not far from either downtown or the airport.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I second staying near Yorkdale. Subway downtown is right there, and not far from the airport

1 - 20 of 24 Posts