The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
That's definitely what I'm leaning towards. Though I could finance a Pro Junior by selling my Cali76 (which I don't use that much since getting my Two-Rock).

I think it literally is between the Boss Katana MK2 50 and the Pro Junior.
Sounds like "rent for a week/month from L&M" time to me.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
There is basically no difference between the Katana 50 and the MK II, so if you're going used and can get a discount, get the original. (OK there's a slight difference in the number of buttons - hook up a computer for 5 minutes and save four presets: done).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I wonder how this would stack up against something like the boss katana. Seem to be in a similar price range.
I have 2 SCXD one at the studio, the other at the summer cottage. I could well live with those two. Mind you, one is permenantly attached to a 2X10" cab, the other was transplanted to a bigger cab to house a 12".

I've had a Katana 100 and didn't like it. Cold amp, OK on high gain and cleans, but everything in between ... meh. I half closed the back, then fully closed it in hope of giving it some oomph. I even went to the extent of installing an external speaker output in hoping to save it by playing it through my 2X12" cab. Didn't find my tone, sold it.

Based on some tips I'd read, I crank the master volume and use the channel volume and attenuator to adjust level. There's a bit more noise, but I think the amp comes to life this way. I do the same with the EQ. I max out the controls and then dial back what I don't want.
That's the way to use it.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,421 Posts
I wonder how this would stack up against something like the boss katana. Seem to be in a similar price range.
I had a super champ X2 and couldn’t stand it. The presets were terrible and the clean channel was too much ice pick.

I traded it at L7M Bloor for a Katana 100 MK 2. I think they still have my old amp listed in their sale page. AFAIK the super champ is now disco by Fender.

The Katana is very good IMO and the Tone Studio allows you to tweak the sound to pretty much anything you can think of. It would be worth checking out.

I read that the 50 watt sounds boxy compared to the 100. I don’t think 100 watts with these is really 100 watts so for gigs I would err on getting the 100 watt over the 50. Be sure of getting the job done.

I also have the following amps: 57 Custom Champ, 57 Custom Deluxe and a Pro Jr Mk IV so I have some good amps to compare against the Katana.

BTW, how did the blues jam go on Saturday; I usually go to those but I didn’t think that being in a small room with seven people including a harp player was a good idea… lol

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
Katana 100 also has more features than the 50.

@Sunny1433
If you do consider the K100, I have the Mark I with ver2 update that I've barely used since buying it new around four years ago.
I spent more time with it hooked up to my computer tweaking the effects than actually playing through it. lol
I play bass more and this was more of a novelty purchase.
PM if interested.
Light Bag Eyewear Luggage and bags Gadget

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had a super champ X2 and couldn’t stand it. The presets were terrible and the clean channel was too much ice pick.

I traded it at L7M Bloor for a Katana 100 MK 2. I think they still have my old amp listed in their sale page. AFAIK the super champ is now disco by Fender.

The Katana is very good IMO and the Tone Studio allows you to tweak the sound to pretty much anything you can think of. It would be worth checking out.

I read that the 50 watt sounds boxy compared to the 100. I don’t think 100 watts with these is really 100 watts so for gigs I would err on getting the 100 watt over the 50. Be sure of getting the job done.

I also have the following amps: 57 Custom Champ, 57 Custom Deluxe and a Pro Jr Mk IV so I have some good amps to compare against the Katana.

BTW, how did the blues jam go on Saturday; I usually go to those but I didn’t think that being in a small room with seven people including a harp player was a good idea… lol
Ahh that's a nice collection you have! I'd love to know how the Katana compares to the champ and the Pro Jr.

I mentioned the 50watt because it's lighter than the 100watt, not really a tone thing and also the fact that it's a bit more compact. I don't think I'll be super super precious about the tone as long as it sounds fairly good (like a 7/10) because it's more of a get the job done kinda tool. Also the used 50w seems to be under $300 while the 100w looks like it's over $400.. (used)

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Katana 100 also has more features than the 50.

@Sunny1433
If you do consider the K100, I have the Mark I with ver2 update that I've barely used since buying it new around four years ago.
I spent more time with it hooked up to my computer tweaking the effects than actually playing through it. lol
I play bass more and this was more of a novelty purchase.
PM if interested.
View attachment 379762
I will keep that in mind, though I am mostly looking for the MK2 50watt. But it's cool you have the foot switch and all :) How much do you think it weighs?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
These are the options I've narrowed down to so far:

1) Katana MK2 50
2) Fender Pro Jr.
3) Laney Cub 12R
4) Vox AC10
5) Fender Bassbreaker 007
6) Blackstar HT5 mk ii (with reverb)

The amps with reverb built-in definitely have the edge...

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming. I'm gonna research for a month or so, try out some amps and buy it around mid-end of October.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In the last year I've tried a few small amps. I've owned both the XD and the Katana 100 head, they're good mid to high volume amps, but not so good for bedroom - which is why I dumped them both.

Another vote here for the Vox AC10, underrated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How about a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe? It takes pedals well, has reverb, would have the head room for gigs, and is significantly lighter than the original tube version (at 20 pounds).

There is one currently for sale in Toronto on Kijiji for $950 (I realize that this is more than you wanted to spend but it might be worth it).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
How about a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe? It takes pedals well, has reverb, would have the head room for gigs, and is significantly lighter than the original tube version (at 20 pounds).

There is one currently for sale in Toronto on Kijiji for $950 (I realize that this is more than you wanted to spend but it might be worth it).

Good luck!
I did think of that but tonally, it would be way to similar to my Two-Rock and yeah, I can't put that money in a secondary amp. It's a fantastic option but just way too expensive for what I need...

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
It’s funny, I saw the title and immediately thought Vox AC10 but was wondering if I should bother because they never get any love. I was shocked when I continued scrolling and saw post after post recommending it.

I had a couple bigger combos and was switching between a Maz18 and a Supro Black Magik, but they were sometimes a pain to lug around and too much amp for some gigs. An AC10 popped up on kijiji so I went and checked it out. It sounded great but I was worried it wouldn’t be enough amp to keep up. Well, (not counting COVID time) I haven’t gigged with another amp since.

Reactions: Sunny1433

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It’s funny, I saw the title and immediately thought Vox AC10 but was wondering if I should bother because they never get any love. I was shocked when I continued scrolling and saw post after post recommending it.

I had a couple bigger combos and was switching between a Maz18 and a Supro Black Magik, but they were sometimes a pain to lug around and too much amp for some gigs. An AC10 popped up on kijiji so I went and checked it out. It sounded great but I was worried it wouldn’t be enough amp to keep up. Well, (not counting COVID time) I haven’t gigged with another amp since.
I've been really surprised by this suggestion too. So how much do you think it weighs? And what would you say is a fair price used for it?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Also, what about the sturdiness? There may be times when I have to take it on transit.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I've been really surprised by this suggestion too. So how much do you think it weighs? And what would you say is a fair price used for it?
According to the website, 27 lbs but it doesn’t even feel that heavy. As far as price, I bought it used 3 years ago. I think I paid $400 and it came with a second set of tubes. Since COVID made used prices go through the roof, who knows now.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Also, what about the sturdiness? There may be times when I have to take it on transit.
It seems fine to me. It’s a closed back so you don’t have to worry about anything damaging the speaker from the back.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I've owned both the Vox AC10 and the Bassbreaker 007 (head)- also the Bassbreker 15 combo come to think of it. Vox would get my vote. Bassbreaker 007 has zero clean headroom. Bassbreaker 15 is awesome but more expensive and heavy. You could take 2 AC10's on a bus. I see them for $500 used.

With the AC10 DON'T upgrade the speaker (hard to find one that fits), and DO upgrade the tubes.

·
Registered
Creston Electric Custom Thinline Tele & Offset Baritone
107 Posts
AC15 is actually a great sweet spot for a low wattage, inexpensive, platform gigging amp IMO. Plentiful, and you can grab them for around ~550–650.

That was my main amp for a bit until I upgraded to boutique land. Would use it again happily as a backup.

It’s got more headroom than the AC10, and real spring reverb rather than digital.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts