The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm part of three different gigging projects at the moment (including my own) and my main amp has been my Two-Rock Studio Signature. It's pretty much my dream amp and I'm so glad to have it.

However, for certain gigs, like one that's happening on an island this month or others at smaller/dingier bars, I'd rather not bring that along as my amp.

I do have a Strymon iridium which sounds great and has been an able stand-in but I did want to get a small 5-10watt amp that's more portable (the Two-Rock is around 35lbs) and less precious.

I've been looking for options that are between CAD 250-500. I'm mostly looking at tube amps but something voiced different from my Two-Rock, like a Supro, champ or even a vintage Gibson Skylark (saw one of those recently).

But then I thought that I could look at the Boss Katana MK2 (50watt) or something of that sort since I already have a tube amp I love. It could give me more versatility and still be easy to carry.

So yeah, once again, the amp would need to be portable, light, durable and a bit different from what I already have. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I don't want to spam, but if you want a vibro champ for half the price of a Fender Champ, I may be selling a Garnet Gnome. There are tons of cool old tube combos out there though, so have fun looking.

TG

·
Super Moderator
817 Posts
Most of the amps you mentioned will not have enough clean headroom for small gigs unless mic’d. Also, small and cheap vintage amps are often unreliable. If the budget is low I’d say stick with modern tube combos like the Pro Junior or AC10. Both are surprisingly great amps. The AC10 would be my pick.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most of the amps you mentioned will not have enough clean headroom for small gigs unless mic’d. Also, small and cheap vintage amps are often unreliable. If the budget is low I’d say stick with modern tube combos like the Pro Junior or AC10. Both are surprisingly great amps. The AC10 would be my pick.
Yeah, the pro junior is actually where I started this search but then I wanted to see what would happen if I rolled the budget back a bit further.

I'm currently checking out videos of the Boss Katana and it does sound pretty good for what it is.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
AC10 gets some great reviews. A while back I was looking for one locally, but they don't pop up like AC15s do. If I was looking, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A Katana 50 makes a great "beater" combo. That's pretty much why I bought mine. It does the job nicely.

If you can find a good deal on a used Quilter, that's worth checking out too. Or the Quilter Superblock. You'd have to find a cab, though.

Once in a while, you can also find a DV Mark amp used. You'd also have to find a cab as well.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A Katana 50 makes a great "beater" combo. That's pretty much why I bought mine. It does the job nicely.

If you can find a good deal on a used Quilter, that's worth checking out too. Or the Quilter Superblock. You'd have to find a cab, though.

Once in a while, you can also find a DV Mark amp used. You'd also have to find a cab as well.
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, especially in a combo format.. How does the amp take pedals? Especially overdrives...

·
Premium Member
18,598 Posts
portable and sturdy? Latest-gen digital amps from Fender, Orange, Marshall, Roland, Boss. Find one you like and giv'r.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
portable and sturdy? Latest-gen digital amps from Fender, Orange, Marshall, Roland, Boss. Find one you like and giv'r.
That's definitely what I'm leaning towards. Though I could finance a Pro Junior by selling my Cali76 (which I don't use that much since getting my Two-Rock).

I think it literally is between the Boss Katana MK2 50 and the Pro Junior.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, especially in a combo format.. How does the amp take pedals? Especially overdrives...
It's a solid pedal platform for overdrives. No complaints there. I mostly stick to the clean channel. Every dirt pedal I've tried with it has translated well.

Based on some tips I'd read, I crank the master volume and use the channel volume and attenuator to adjust level. There's a bit more noise, but I think the amp comes to life this way. I do the same with the EQ. I max out the controls and then dial back what I don't want. Usually, I leave a lot of mids in there. It really helps with dirt pedals.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts