The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I need an amp that is under 350 dollars with a good clean and distorted tone that can play to a drumset and perferabbly something in the range of a hendrix ot pete townshend tone. I've checked out a few fender amps and they sound okay but I think I can find better. anyone know of any good amps under 350 that would be good?

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
psst: see if you can find a used traynor YCV40/40WR for $400 - you'll thank me later

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...buy a used peavey classic 30, traynor ycv40 or similar low-wattage tube combo.

caveat: no amp is going to make you sound like hendrix or townsend.

-dh

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...buy a used peavey classic 30, traynor ycv40 or similar low-wattage tube combo.

caveat: no amp is going to make you sound like hendrix or townsend.

-dh
I never really thought I could sound like either but something that is in the tone range of theirs. I say stuff like tone like hendrix or pete townshend because I don't want metal tone and people reccomend stuff like that alot.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you get a VJ mod it and it'll sound much better!

Personally I'd go for the Classic 30... or save another $300 and buy a used 1x12 JCM800 combo.

·
Registered
874 Posts
A friend of mine runs a VJ through his Marshall 4x12 and it sounds great. If you don,t have a good cab I,d go for the classic 30 combo.

·
Registered
401 Posts
personally, I would seriously consider just saving a bit more and spending a bit more: find a 1x12 avatar speaker cab or something like that quality with whatever good sprk you can get for your budget. (or similar quality cab builders, you see them used all the time for not much money).

and get a vintage traynor guitar mate or bass mate head: loudest small amps you will ever hear ! I think this could be achieved for 500.00.

just mho, as always: I 've found, if I go the cheaper route, I end up not satisfied and getting rid of it and getting something better...and so on ........and so on.

good gear will always put a smile on your face and the tone "will be there!"

good luck on your choice.

p.s. failing the above scenario, hard to beat a classic 30 with a better spkr. @ your price pnt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I've found a traynor ycv40 for 475, its in good conidition besides abit of a hum when playing chords on clean. I think I'm going to tell the salesmen im not going to get it unless he takes it down to 400, because in all honesty that is abit much for an amp that does that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think I'm going to tell the salesmen im not going to get it unless he takes it down to 400, because in all honesty that is abit much for an amp that does that.
Wise decision grasshopper. My local music store had one last winter, it was in new condition but used. It sold for $400, like others have said you can get them in perfect working condition for $400.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Alright I've found a traynor ycv40 for 475, its in good conidition besides abit of a hum when playing chords on clean. I think I'm going to tell the salesmen im not going to get it unless he takes it down to 400, because in all honesty that is abit much for an amp that does that.
Very odd for those amps to hum, are you sure that it isn't the guitar causing the hum? Single coils will hum for sure, and even humbucker guitars will hum to some extent, some more than others.

If you have tried a few different humbucker guitars cords and compared it to another YCV40 and have confirmed that it is in fact the amp that hums, why not pay them full price and have them repair it for you?

Or for that matter offer them less and still have them repair it for you.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
I agree, there's hum and then there's HUM. Any amp will hum a little, it's usually the guitar/cord/ac circuit that makes it worse. However, have it checked over anyway in case there are issues. If the YCV40 is anywhere as good as my YCV50, you'll have a good amp, great even.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't mean hum as in hissing from the pickups, I mean humming coming from the speaker as in a cracking noise. it sounds like theres a loose part in the amp, but then again what could be loose? I'm thinking it may be the speaker.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't mean hum as in hissing from the pickups, I mean humming coming from the speaker as in a cracking noise. it sounds like theres a loose part in the amp, but then again what could be loose? I'm thinking it may be the speaker.
Yikes! If it's crackling I would stay away. It could be something simple like a bad tube but it could be something much worse. These amps are not really rare so just wait until a good one comes up.

TG

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yikes! If it's crackling I would stay away. It could be something simple like a bad tube but it could be something much worse. These amps are not really rare so just wait until a good one comes up.

TG
well its not a crackling noise its hard to explain. I think its stopped now anyways. if I can't get him to take the price down im going to ask for a patch cable/chord/guitar lead because everyone calls it something different. can anyone reccomend me a good one? I'm using cheap yorkville ones now and apparently thats bad for sound.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you keep an eye out you'll find a YCV-20 for that kind of cash. 15 watts, 2 channels, reverb, effects loop etc... For not much more Peavey 30 and YCV 40's do come available. All outstanding amps.

I've had a YCV-20 for about 2 years. I retubed it with jj's and replaced the Rocket 50 with a Weber ceramic Blue Dog. Now it's a killer little amp.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
well its not a crackling noise its hard to explain. I think its stopped now anyways. if I can't get him to take the price down im going to ask for a patch cable/chord/guitar lead because everyone calls it something different. can anyone reccomend me a good one? I'm using cheap yorkville ones now and apparently thats bad for sound.
An intermittent problem is even worse because it is harder to track down; that means you end up paying a tech for the time to diagnose the problem.

TG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts