The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Peavey Bandit 112 for about 5 years, but since I change my music and tone taste alot ! I'm looking for something more warm and creamy, I love the old dirty sound of a tube amp but I don't relly know what to choose. I heard about the new traynor, but I want to know if it's a good deal (Custom valve 50 blue). I read a couple of reviews and I read mostly all the threads on this forum and nobody talk about the sound. I wanna something for blues and rock !
Thank you for your help !

P.S. I'm a frog so my english is not perfect, sorry ! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Ti-Ron said:
I got a Peavey Bandit 112 for about 5 years, but since I change my music and tone taste alot ! I'm looking for something more warm and creamy, I love the old dirty sound of a tube amp but I don't relly know what to choose. I heard about the new traynor, but I want to know if it's a good deal (Custom valve 50 blue). I read a couple of reviews and I read mostly all the threads on this forum and nobody talk about the sound. I wanna something for blues and rock !
Thank you for your help !

P.S. I'm a frog so my english is not perfect, sorry ! ;)
Je suis un bloke - pardonez ma francais mal! :tongue:

I suggest you look for an OLD tube amp, like an old Traynor. They are still reasonably priced and good value for the money. Their circuits were very similar to blackface Fender amps. They sound very good when cranked up to 8 or more on the volume knob and really sound good with a boost pedal!

After you've had it for a while you can take it to a good tech and he can easily and quickly modify the circuit for you to suit your style better. Since these amps were hand wired he can do this easily in less time, which means a lower price to you!

Perhaps the very best model to look for is the YGM3. This is a single 12" speaker combo using a pair of EL84's for maybe 30 watts. Since the cabinet is large enough to get good efficiency from the speaker this is a LOUD 30watts!

Replace the speaker with a modern Eminence or Weber that has better efficiency and the amp will easily keep up with many 50 watt amps.

In a concert situation just mike it through the PA.

Mon .02, seulement.

Vive le Chambly! Pas le bier Mauditz!:food-smiley-004:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just came back from the music store and the guy make me try a peavey classic 30 ! He told me that this amp was better than the Traynor Custom Valve 40T . The peavey sounds great clean, but when it's goes on overdrive it's crappy. I'm not sure if it's the speaker or only the overdrive itself but I think he just want sells me that for the comission ! Did someone had it ? The guy said it's the only amp for blues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Wild Bill gave you some good advice about the older Traynors. For new stuff in the tube realm at a reasonable price the Peavey classics, Traynors and Crate V series seem to be the ones I'd suggest. Don,t forget that you can always add pedals to taylor the sound more to your liking. Also a tube amp almost always sounds better on the distortion channel with more volume. There are also some very nice sounding Solid State amps out there these days by companies like Vox and Roland that sound damn good for what they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Ti-Ron said:
I just came back from the music store and the guy make me try a peavey classic 30 ! He told me that this amp was better than the Traynor Custom Valve 40T . The peavey sounds great clean, but when it's goes on overdrive it's crappy. I'm not sure if it's the speaker or only the overdrive itself but I think he just want sells me that for the comission ! Did someone had it ? The guy said it's the only amp for blues.
M Ti-Ron, the Peavey isn't a bad choice if you get a good price as far as tone. However, as a tech I get a LOT of them with intermittent problems from the circuit boards! It seems as soon as they get about 10 years old the problems start. The cause is that tubes heat and cool, which makes the connections on the board expand and contract. Eventually the flexing can screw up a connection or two.

Lots of modern amps have this problem. The Fender Blues Deluxe/Deville/whatever family is notorious for it as well.

Old amps like the Traynors I mentioned were handwired on what are called "tag boards" that don't have this problem.

The result is that the older amps are more reliable and easier to service or modify, which means lower costs to the owner. You may have to pay for some "catch up maintenance" when you buy an older amp. The tubes may be old and soft and the filter caps in the power supply need changing every 20 years or so.

Tarl is absolutely right about using pedals!

So it's "pay now" or "pay later". You'll have to decide for yourself.:food-smiley-004:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
...the peavey classic 30 and the traynor ycv series are excellent recommends, in my opinion.

there is also a carvin belair 2-12 on craiglist right now...

-dh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow ! I'm really happy about all the good advices everyones here give me ! Thanks a lot ! Mr. Wild Bill, I really appreciate the explanations, the probleme is; why n obody in a s tore tolm you that ? (I already know the answer) ! I will check for a guitar mate, but did you know if someone in Montreal can do this kind of check up, 'cause I don't really trust the places like Steve's !
Thank you again !

Ti-Ron !:rockon2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
"I don't get out much..." - The Birdman of Alcatraz

Ti-Ron said:
Wow ! I'm really happy about all the good advices everyones here give me ! Thanks a lot ! Mr. Wild Bill, I really appreciate the explanations, the probleme is; why n obody in a s tore tolm you that ? (I already know the answer) ! I will check for a guitar mate, but did you know if someone in Montreal can do this kind of check up, 'cause I don't really trust the places like Steve's !
Thank you again !

Ti-Ron !:rockon2:
A ta service, Ti-Ron!

I don't know the techs in the Montreal area but others on this board will probably jump in and give you some referrals.

I used to work for an American company with their Canadian head office in Pointe Claire. Several times a year I'd visit the office (I worked from home as an on-the-road salesman) and after a few beer it was amazing how my francais improved! There's something about Chambly that is good for the brain, I guess.

Don't remember much, today. Just le Cage aux Sporte, Bourbon Street, a fondue restaurant in old Montreal (funny, I've never seen a take-out fondue restaurant) and a great place where you barbequed different breads!

I do remember there was a LOT of Molsons!:food-smiley-004:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Garnet Stencil ?

Hi everyone ! I found a Garnet Stencil Pan T45 B in a shop near of my school ! I try it and the sound is ansome !!! I know it's suppose to be a bass amp but the tone on that little beast if unbelivable ! I look on the internet and I don't find many informations about it. The only thing I know is that they made that amps serie for Sears. Did anyone got informations about it ? And I want to know your opinion on it please !
Thank you !

Edit: I also see a head YRM-1 and I want to know if I can plug it into my actual ampli in the "power amp in" ? The only thing about it in the user's manual, is that it's gonna by pass the current power amp ! It is okay too plug that head to use my actual speaker as a cab ? Thanks again ! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Ti-Ron, I'd personally go with a Traynor, they're affordable and the tones you can get are quite awesome. These amps are canadian made, so servicing the amp would probably be a lot faster (and cheaper) than sending the damn thing somewhere in the USA. No customs to deal with, no hassle. These traynor amps are highly underrated.

Mon cher Ti Ron, j'irais avec un Traynor si j'étais toi. Ce sont de très bons amplis plutôt abordables et faits au Canada, alors si tu as un problème avec, ça va couter pas mal moins cher pis ça va être pas mal moins long que d'envoyer ton ampli quelque part aux É-U. Je pense que ces amplis sont très sous-estimés et qu'ils valent la peine d'être considérés. Tu devrais aller ailleurs que chez Steve's ou Italmélodie, on ne peut leur faire confiance. Il y a des magasins comme Media Musique au nord de Montréal qui sont très fiables, petit mais super sympathique. Appelle Mario et parle-lui de tes besoins, il saura te conseiller de la bonne façon. Dis-lui que c'est un "ancien gros" qui t'envoie et il va comprendre...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Wild Bill said:
Je suis un bloke - pardonez ma francais mal! :tongue:

I suggest you look for an OLD tube amp, like an old Traynor. They are still reasonably priced and good value for the money. Their circuits were very similar to blackface Fender amps. They sound very good when cranked up to 8 or more on the volume knob and really sound good with a boost pedal!

After you've had it for a while you can take it to a good tech and he can easily and quickly modify the circuit for you to suit your style better. Since these amps were hand wired he can do this easily in less time, which means a lower price to you!

Perhaps the very best model to look for is the YGM3. This is a single 12" speaker combo using a pair of EL84's for maybe 30 watts. Since the cabinet is large enough to get good efficiency from the speaker this is a LOUD 30watts!

Replace the speaker with a modern Eminence or Weber that has better efficiency and the amp will easily keep up with many 50 watt amps.

In a concert situation just mike it through the PA.

Mon .02, seulement.

Vive le Chambly! Pas le bier Mauditz!:food-smiley-004:
what he said :food-smiley-004:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you all

Thanks for all your answers ! I'll try to find that little beast for an affordable price 'cause 600 bucks for an used amp with missing tolex I think it's a little expensive ! Maybe not but I'm a student so .. :p

The serch as (began, begun ?)


dufe32: Content de rencontrer un québécois ! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Ti-Ron said:
Hi everyone ! I found a Garnet Stencil Pan T45 B in a shop near of my school ! I try it and the sound is ansome !!! I know it's suppose to be a bass amp but the tone on that little beast if unbelivable ! I look on the internet and I don't find many informations about it. The only thing I know is that they made that amps serie for Sears. Did anyone got informations about it ? And I want to know your opinion on it please !
Thank you !
I have a book by Gar Gillies and the only info I could find on the Stencil was the schematic. It is a simple design with a 2 stages preamp and a couple of 6V6 tubes on the output side. Should sound good! How much are they asking for it?

You could search the Garnet Yahoo group too, they may have some more info there.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top