The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I could use your help here. Anyone own a YCV80 and a YCV40 or YCV20WR and could give me some feedback? The gain sound in the 40 and 20 is exactly my sound (especially when you click on that boost). I own a YCV20WR but I want some more volume and the sound of a bigger cab. I have the opportunity to buy a YCV80, but it's a bit of a drive. Anyone know if the dirty sounds are very similar between the 80, 40 and 20?

I should add that there is something in the voicing of the YCV50B that I don't like much - so I'm trying to avoid that. Also, any wisdom on the 4x10 vs 2x12? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've had the 410 and 2x12 combos. The 410 was much punchier and overall better sounding clean and distorted. I really hated the 70/80 Celestions the 2x12 came with. It sounded better with any cab. In my experience you may want to look into a Marshall or black star, I like Canadian companies but not that amp in particular is pretty hollow sounding clean and the boost is over the top.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the input. The Youtube vids on this older amp are few and far between, so I appreciate the first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The YCV50B is a real keeper with a G12M-65 Creamback.

That said, the boost function is pretty over the top.

*Edit*

My YCV50B is running Tungsols in the preamp which gave it a bit more brightness which put it further into the Marshall camp. JJ EL34Ls in the power section tighten the bass and add thump to palm muting.

I run the G12M-65 Creamback in the amp but I also have the matching 112 extension cab and run a G12H-75 Creamback in that.

There is no ground I can't cover with this setup along with a Mini TubeScreamer.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Buy an extension cab if you have a speaker out (which I believe they do).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - I have a homemade extension cab on my YCV20WR. Helps fill out the sound of that little cab. But I want to set up a stereo rig - hence the interest in something similar but a little different.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Yeah - I have a homemade extension cab on my YCV20WR. Helps fill out the sound of that little cab. But I want to set up a stereo rig - hence the interest in something similar but a little different.
Peavey classic 30

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'd be looking for a second YCV20WR to double your watts and the amount of air you're pushing?
Good idea - I'd been considering that. But I wondered if I'd like something just a little different to cover other bases. You know - to have a different option when I use it to play mono.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I used to use a YCV50blue (with blue ext cab) and a YCV20 (no ext cab) in a two amp system, FX clean and dirt through the 50, clean and dirt through the 20. Almost always the YCV20 was clean, giving my overall tone a note definition I couldn't get with one amp. Sometimes I used the distortion on both, but I dislike the tap dancing it required. Everything was re-speakered though, with Eminence speakers as I dislike the stock Celestions. Since switching to a YCV40WR (with ext cab) and either a brand new Orange Mini Terror or Traynor DG30, I only use the 40 for distortion...at least for now. The 40 and 50 have very similar tones, and both have oodles of power, I never felt the need to increase wattage, the PA was enough to make things louder. Speakers make a world of difference.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who helped me out. I decided to not get the YCV80. It was just too much of an unknown for me - and I did find a demo on Youtube where it sounded pretty much opposite the direction I'm headed in my amp progression. As humans, I think we tend to disregard opinions (demos) that run contrary to our biases (i.e contrary to our G.A.S.), but when I realized I was doing that, I decided to really pay attention to that demo where I didn't like the sound.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think they were good entry level tube amps with traynors take on modern features for the time, but there are much better alternatives these days.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts