The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this telecaster for around 10 years and never really played it too much and have never really looked into what it is model or age wise. I am now thinking of selling it and would like to make sure of what it is so that I can price it correctly and make sure the buyer knows what they are getting. I have been told it could be a mij fender telecaster custom 62 reissue but would like to have the forum members have a look and see if they can shed some light on this. There is no date on the heel of the neck but there is some numbers and letters faintly visible under the black paint in the neck pocket. There are the usual dings and chips of an older guitar and I had the neck professionally refretted a couple of years ago. There is some lacquer lifting just behind the nut and there are some indentations on the headstock that look like a different set of tuners were used at some point in its life. I will be cleaning up the awful soldering on the pots and will try to get a date code off them.
20171128_150347.jpg 20160831_122602.jpg 20171128_150424.jpg 20171128_150503.jpg 20171128_150523.jpg 20171129_211820.jpg 20160831_122552_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more photos of the control plate
20171129_210909.jpg 20171129_210954.jpg 20171129_211023.jpg 20171129_211202.jpg

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I agree that the bridge isn't quite right for a TL62B from the 80's. I had one, and I believe they had an "A" stamped serial number and definitely had threaded saddles (although those could be easily changed). The necks usually had TL-62 stamped where it was covered up by the neck pocket on those as well. Also, there should only be one string tree, and the double-bound Teles say "Custom Telecaster" on the headstock like this:

There are a couple details that my memory is a bit fuzzy on, but I don't think there was a big "F" neck plate back then either. The guitar said "Made in Japan" clearly somewhere, but I don't remember if it was on the neck heel like the modern ones, or stamped on the neck plate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From looking at other 80's era mij reissue tele customs on reverb, their headstocks don't say custom either but then the early ones aren't supposed to have cloth wiring either which this one has so it does get confusing. Could it be American made or is it more likely to be one that has had parts changed out over the years?

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
The 21 frets, while not definitive, would suggest that at least the neck isn't American.

I would tend to think it's more likely had parts swapped than it being American.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The 21 frets, while not definitive, would suggest that at least the neck isn't American.

I would tend to think it's more likely had parts swapped than it being American.
I once had a gorgeous CAR American Vintage RI 62 Custom Tele, definitely a 21 fret neck, alas no photos on file to help you Sherlock this one.

Besides the logo, the knurling on the back of the tuners looks wrong for a "Custom Telecaster", so my vote is a partscaster of some type. There were some MIM 21 fret necks made & it would be very easy to add that second string tree.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
From looking at other 80's era mij reissue tele customs on reverb, their headstocks don't say custom
In the early 60's the double-bound Teles were called the "Custom Telecaster", which was printed on the headstock (also on the AVRI '62 reissue and custom shop reissues). This is not to be confused with a "Telecaster Custom" which was an invention from the next decade with a neck humbucker pickup. After that, I think the naming just gets confusing and both terms used interchangeably. Anyway, for the double-bound Japanese reissues from the 80's (TL62B), they definitely did say "Custom Telecaster" (at least my 1987 one did). The unbound models (TL62) would not have. Later Japanese reissues including the TL62B have dropped the "Custom" for some reason.

I once had a gorgeous CAR American Vintage RI 62 Custom Tele

Whatever the original poster's guitar exactly is, can we just all agree that double-bound Teles are awesome? :)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

Whatever the original poster's guitar exactly is, can we just all agree that double-bound Teles are awesome? :)
Yes, yes they are.

Mine had a perfect "chunky but not too fat" neck on it too and the saddles had been swapped out for compensated brass ones. The guy I got it from begged me to sell it back to him and I eventually acquiesced. D'Oh!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
It's obvious that the electronics have been molested by a drunken five year old with a soldering iron. You should investigate what pickups are on the other end of the cloth wires!

Usually, lower end MIJ Fender guitars of the era had thin sounding ceramic pickups. The guitars were well built for the most part but people usually swapped the pickups out for something better. Higher end models featured 'USA' pickups with cloth wires which were basically Fullertons. (1982-198?)

The bridge plate serial number indicates it's a USA bridge, ( many MIJ teles just had a SN on the bridge plate), it would be interesting to see if /what the pickup was upgraded to.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a good idea Tonewoody. When maybe tonight I will pull the bridge off and take some photos of the pickup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts