The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new, and admit that i know absolutely NOTHING about guitars, so i need some help!

This guitar was my grandmothers, circa 1930. The maker was P.N. Porayko in Hamilton, Ontario.

My grandmother took lessons from this man, who made guitars as well. i can't find anything about this maker through Google. The guitar has abalone/mother of pearl inset around the edges, and up the neck in stars and diamonds. the top features a harp shape inset in the same. the only damage is inlay missing from the bottom (not on the face).

Here are some additional pictures, if anyone could give me info on the maker, the style, appraisal value (though it's not for sale) and anything else you can think of that me and my family should know about this guitar!

i can take more pictures if anyone needs to see something in particular...

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only other marking is No. 228

here's the label:

ETA: that's "unexelled", not "unexcellent" that's hidden behind the string ;)

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
Interesting looking old guitar. Probably so rare you won't find any info on it anywhere and subsequently it's probably not a very high value guitar. What I don't get is the fret markers at the 6th, 11th and 13th frets. :confused-smiley-010

Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peter Porayko was my great-great uncle. I have two of his guitars. I also have the forms and tools that he used to make his guitars, violins and mandolins. It is wonderful to hear that there are still a few of his instruments out there.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
You're a lucky guy, do you have any pic's for us, would love to see them...

·
Registered
2 Posts

On the right (dark finish) is a guitar built in the early 30s for my great uncle. He took it with him in the Navy during WWII. The other was built in the 1950s and was my father's guitar.

The dark guitar weighs about a kilo. It is a left handed guitar that has been re-strung right. Amazingly even tone with great projection considering the f-holes.

The one on the left is twice as heavy. A really solid guitar. The tone is very bright. It cuts through when you have a lot of other guitars playing at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts