The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been playing a reissue bassman since I started playing live and recently I've been playing some bigger louder stage and it just isn't doing it for me lately.

Last night I was playing a club and had my bassman and wasn't digging my tone all night. It wasn't cutting through on stage and it's didn't have the low mid push that I like to have and seem to be able to accomplish on smaller stages. They had a couple of backline amps there(2 410 deville and a 2x12 deville) and I usually hate these amps but I tried the 2x12 to see if it fixed my problem and it definitely gave me the girth and definition I wanted but still did that hotrod thing I hate.

So my question for you fine fellows is what do you think it was about the deville that made it better, the pair of 12" speakers or the extra 15 watts? I've been pining over a Friedman dirty shirley and I think I may sell a bunch of gear so I can acquire one if it's something that will give me what I'm after with a 2x12 cab.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Has this happened on all the larger stages?
My first instinct would be to swap your speakers for some British voiced types - they're great for bringing forward the midrange tones. But four speakers are expensive.
Which 12" speakers were in the other amp?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were just stock deville Fender speakers, the speakers in my bassman are two stock Jenson speakers and two eminence blue frames from my old 90's bassman. Most amps I've had were 10's and I think what I'm after comes from 12's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts