The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2019 Gibson SG Tribute however I want to upgrade the Tuners to a higher ratio 18-1 etc...
Not sure which ones to get, I would like to keep the same style currently on the SG

Ideally a set that matches up with the holes Do not want to drill.....

Any suggestions???

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
you need this:
premium tuner (made in japan).

I would not hesitate to get the cheaper version too, SD90:

or the Schallers (made in germany):

They are not 18:1, but are premium product (I have used them in the past), and I am pretty sure the ones you have on the guitar are very similar.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Kluson has a 19:1 set that's a drop in. Locking; called "Revolution," and Stew Mac sells them. I've used them a couple of times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently bought a 2019 Gibson SG Tribute however I want to upgrade the Tuners to a higher ratio 18-1 etc...
Not sure which ones to get, I would like to keep the same style currently on the SG

Ideally a set that matches up with the holes Do not want to drill.....

Any suggestions???
Like others, I’m wondering why you want a higher ratio - I can’t think of a good reason other than faster winding, in which case, get a winder.
I‘ve changed tuners on a Gibson Gospel and an Advanced Jumbo, and yes, the holes matched right up because they were the right tuners. Nice guitar, btw, good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Kluson has a 19:1 set that's a drop in. Locking; called "Revolution," and Stew Mac sells them. I've used them a couple of times.
I have a set of these and am probably going to replace them with traditional Klusons.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like others, I’m wondering why you want a higher ratio - I can’t think of a good reason other than faster winding, in which case, get a winder.
I‘ve changed tuners on a Gibson Gospel and an Advanced Jumbo, and yes, the holes matched right up because they were the right tuners. Nice guitar, btw, good luck!
hey shawn.
the Kluson Revolutions are nice agree!

·
Registered
314 Posts
A higher ratio would be slower, but more accurate.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
A higher ratio would be slower, but more accurate.
Since the ratio refers to the number of turns of the tuner key to the number of turns of the post, a higher ratio would be faster and possibly less accurate.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Since the ratio refers to the number of turns of the tuner key to the number of turns of the post, a higher ratio would be faster and possibly less accurate.

Wrong.

A higher ratio means that you make more turns of the tuner button to turn the tuner post through one revolution.

For example 12:1 would mean 12 turns of the tuning peg to turn the tuner post one revolution. 18:1 would mean it takes 18 turns of the peg to turn the tuner post through one revolution. 18 turns is definitely slower than 12. Get it?

Also, 1/18 of a turn is definitely a smaller increment than 1/12 of a turn, and therefore also more accurate.

Get it?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
You could go with a set of Gotoh 510 1:21 ratio tuners. I put a set on my 64 sg (replaced a set of Grovers) I used the footprint from the Grovers that were installed a little off but close enough. The screw holes you see are from the original 3 on a plate tuners.
In my experience, if you get the set with the centre setscrew, it lines up with the lower hole from the old tuners. These Gotoh tuners are the best you can buy. They don't have the vintage look but performance is unmatched.
Guitar String instrument Red Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts