The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, so if you have nothing but a big muff, and you wanna get a distortion that gives you the ability to do more solid sounding vanhalen soloing what pedal do you buy? please help. thankyou

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You want a pedal to give you the sound of Van Halen? Not gonna' happen, the infamous 'brown sound' is in the amp.

The "gives you the ability to do more solid sounding vanhalen soloing" confused me... a pedal won't give you the 'ability' to do Van Halen solos... but the first album was full of reverb if that's what you mean.

EVH mostly does legato, so are you saying the notes don't come out clearly? That's a case of improving technique...

·
Registered
213 Posts
real question is why you would want to play like van halen. slower than most shredders, musically not very great and he was pretty sloppy live.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
There was a guy on this fourm selling a 'Real Tube' pedal (with proceeds going towards cancer research), but I couldn't find the link.

I have a real tube II preamp, and it will do almost anything from the 60's to hardcore metal. Very versatile so if your tastes change over time, you can dabble into another sound.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
real question is why you would want to play like van halen. slower than most shredders, musically not very great and he was pretty sloppy live.
His legato chops are pretty decent... other then that he's not much in the lead department. Some of his rhythms are pretty out there, but I love 'em. His tone is like no other... godly.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
When you get your own signature equipment and make tens of millions of dollars from your music..........then........ and only then will I stop laughing at this comment. Goose asked a question and you tear apart a guitarist that you will never come close to accomplishing what he did with guitar and music?

Anyways goose, Violation is kinda right. The brown sound even eludes Eddie today? Get the new Fender 5150 III and you will be 95% there!
As far as pedals go, I have a Jekyl and Hyde pedal that can do a creamier smoother gain that sounds pretty good for Van Halen and I've heard good things about the Marshall Guvnernor but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
okay alow me to elaborate. i never said i wanna sound like van halen. or atleast thats not what i meant. actually, i personally have a jekyll and hyde, when i mix both channels together, it works great for that kind of soloing (doesnt sound like it, it just works). my buddy has got just a big muff for his main distortion. obviously dynamic solos arent going to really work there right? im going to buy him the kind of pedal that will help him achieve this for his b-day, no need to sound like van halen, just able to play solid sounding solos. this actually isnt about evh, my buddy just wants to solo properly!

btw, eddie rules.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
okay alow me to elaborate. i never said i wanna sound like van halen. or atleast thats not what i meant. actually, i personally have a jekyll and hyde, when i mix both channels together, it works great for that kind of soloing (doesnt sound like it, it just works). my buddy has got just a big muff for his main distortion. obviously dynamic solos arent going to really work there right? im going to buy him the kind of pedal that will help him achieve this for his b-day, no need to sound like van halen, just able to play solid sounding solos. this actually isnt about evh, my buddy just wants to solo properly!

btw, eddie rules.
I still don't get it, why won't a Big Muff work for solos? Gain shouldn't make a difference if you have good technique... but if for some reason he still needs more gain just get an overdrive pedal and use with the Big Muff.

Mixing two distortion pedals will likely give you mud and sound terrible... hell, even mixing the overdrive and distortion will probably sound pretty bad, lol. Overdrive pedal + tube amps overdrive = yummy.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"You want the brown sound?"

You want the brown sound? Eddie did it with Plexi Marshalls that had lower than usual plate voltages on the power tubes. When he got the Peavey endorsement for the 5150 I suspect he still ran his modified Marshall.

He had spread the rumour that he used a Variac to lower the line voltage into the amp but that was just yanking everyone's chain. You can't lower the power cord voltage without causing other problems inside the amp.

Anyhow, if you want that type of sound find yourself a Traynor YVM1 tube mixer/PA amp and bring it to me to mod. You'll still have to practice on your fingering but the amp will bring you VERY close!

More than that I'm not tellling! Ask Eddie!:smile:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
5150/6505 can do it pretty good, you can get it with the Genz Benz El Diablo too... there's a video of it on YouTube somewhere I think.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...unlike the vast majority of shredders, eddie:

1. can play excellent rhythm
2. is innovative
3. knows when to shut up and let the song breathe
4. has killer tone

-dh

I

·
0 Posts
...unlike the vast majority of shredders, eddie:

1. can play excellent rhythm
2. is innovative
3. knows when to shut up and let the song breathe
4. has killer tone
+1. Even the radio-friendly stuff like Jump is slippery as hell and just right in the pocket.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The secret to a good solo tone for shred is digital delay. Of course its set very low so you dont know its there, but it thickens up everything if you set it up properly.........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
god... i wish i had never mentioned vanhalen..... thanks to those few of you who actually did help though

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agreed on Van Halen, awesome player, leads were perfect on the early stuff and rythmically he was always "fun and greasy" which I love. Great tone too. As for his lead skills, they don't blow me away but they were some fine chops no doubt about it. As for sloppiness live, most people are when they have had a few lines of coc in them, half a bottle of jack, and no sleep. Stones

And yeah, all those guys love to add delay to their lead tone.. you need it.. also masks a bit of sloppiness.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
And yeah, all those guys love to add delay to their lead tone.. you need it.. also masks a bit of sloppiness.
But then shredders run the signal thru a frequency delay which magnifies all their mistakes, and thats another part of the shred tone. There aint no masking in shred........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts