The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking to buy a Marshall amp. Preferably 80+ watts. My budget it around $300-$500. The amp can be used or new. Any model suggestions? Or ads?

NOTE: Age isn't an issue, as long as the amp sounds good.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
80+ watts? You going to be playing a stadium? 50 watts should be more than enough.

Are you looking for just a head, or a combo?

I've got a JTM60 that I think is a pretty good amp, and they don't command the high $ most tube Marshalls get. It's aka JCM600 I believe in a later version. They were also available in a JTM30, that might fit closer to your budget.
Some guys have had overheating problems with them, so if you find one, check it first.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I guess it really depends on what style of music you play and how big the venue is. Some amps you need to turn up in order to get them into the "grease zone" obviously the lower wattage amp wins. Do you need a vintage sound or do you need a modern sound? Myself I prefer a vintage sound, I used Jeff Flowerday's 18 watt Marshall on one of my gigs and it fit the bill perfectly. I could get a great chimey clean with a bit of give or grimmey with the openning of my volume pot and Klon + Barber Direct SS..

My . 02:rockon2:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
a decent sounding inexpensive ( and loud ) combo is the 4203 1x12

also came as a 3203 head

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mr. David Severson said:
I guess it really depends on what style of music you play and how big the venue is. Some amps you need to turn up in order to get them into the "grease zone" obviously the lower wattage amp wins. Do you need a vintage sound or do you need a modern sound? Myself I prefer a vintage sound, I used Jeff Flowerday's 18 watt Marshall on one of my gigs and it fit the bill perfectly. I could get a great chimey clean with a bit of give or grimmey with the openning of my volume pot and Klon + Barber Direct SS..

My . 02:rockon2:
100% Vintange sound no exceptions. I would prefer 80 watts, but i can go for 50 watts, its not for stadiums, just some small shows at school. But i would prefer more wattage cause i want this amp to last. And if a half stack would be available for my price range it would be good, i can go over my budget.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the marshall avt amps are very underrated. they are valvestate so they have a single 12AX7 valve and it gives a nice clean and a sweet gain/overdrive

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
acdcrox2999 said:
100% Vintange sound no exceptions. I would prefer 80 watts, but i can go for 50 watts, its not for stadiums, just some small shows at school. But i would prefer more wattage cause i want this amp to last. And if a half stack would be available for my price range it would be good, i can go over my budget.

you could do some reading on the plexipalace forums, lots of marshall info there

the DSL series aren't bad sounding & can get a vintagy sound

but for that money you could get a good old traynor YBA1 head, that would be my choice. you won't find a vintage marshall for less than $1k these days

why do you think you need a 80-100w amp? a 20-30w amp will handle any situation, except maybe an outdoor gig in a cow pasture, with no PA None

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
bolero said:
you could do some reading on the plexipalace forums, lots of marshall info there

the DSL series aren't bad sounding & can get a vintagy sound

but for that money you could get a good old traynor YBA1 head, that would be my choice. you won't find a vintage marshall for less than $1k these days

why do you think you need a 80-100w amp? a 20-30w amp will handle any situation, except maybe an outdoor gig in a cow pasture, with no PA None
It doesnt HAVE to be 80+ watts. But im looking for a combo amp. The traynor make is very good i hear, but i dont feel like purchasing a cabinet for the head. And if a new amp has a vintage style sound thats good.:banana:

and is this amp good?:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_crate_xt120r_120w_guitar_combo?full_sku=102455953

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I agree with Bolero, look in the 30W range, or maybe an 18 watter. Those things kick ass.

I have a JCM800 50 watt combo, I've never ever been in a venue I could pin it. Remember you want to get that amp cranked up for tone.

You want a Marshall and your link is to a Crate?

You won't find a vintage Marshall in your price range, but a lot of the newer ones can deliver a reasonable facsimile of the tone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
dwagar said:
I agree with Bolero, look in the 30W range, or maybe an 18 watter. Those things kick ass.

I have a JCM800 50 watt combo, I've never ever been in a venue I could pin it. Remember you want to get that amp cranked up for tone.

You want a Marshall and your link is to a Crate?

You won't find a vintage Marshall in your price range, but a lot of the newer ones can deliver a reasonable facsimile of the tone.
can you please name some newer ones in that range? and no, i dont want to link to anything all i need is a combo amp. I have a small crappy 15W fender one now. I wanna move up the wattage to Marshall 40W+ Combo

·
Registered
29 Posts
where are you located?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
SinCron said:
Some people end up selling their DSL's for 650. Awesome amps from what I've heard.
There you go, look for that one. Or go with a AVT, they sound pretty good. I have one in my room (avt50hx with jcm 800 lead 1960 cab) and I love it to death. Not as much as the 800 itself, but it's still damn good for the price.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
there's a valvestate 8080 combo in the sale section for $200

for that price I'd buy it & try it for a bit...they have reverb & don't actually sound that bad, fairly versatile from what I remember

you can always sell it & get your $$ back when another option comes along

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Don't buy a valve state.

Buy a Traynor YBA-4. It's a combo version of the YBA-1 bassmaster and Songbird Music has one for sale in Toronto. Save a few bucks to put in a better speaker and let it rip.

TG

·
Registered
283 Posts
dont buy a dsl. the jcm 2000 dsls just suck. ive tried both the dsl50 and the dsl100 they are wayyyy too noisey. the gain is so buzzy and sounds like you're playing through a can of baked beans. they are such pieces of crap. if you're desperate for an all tube marshall get a jcm 800(head or combo. the combos are much cheaper) or a jcm 900(i know the 900s arent the best either but they are way better sounding than the jcm 2000 dsl amplifiers).

personally, i wouldnt go for a crate. if your budget is low i can honestly say the marshall valvestate2000 amps are a good way to go. also, if you're not picky and are open to other brands, a friend of mine has a 50 watt vox valvetronix and it sounds really nice. the gain on it is quite good and the clean is very warm for a solid state/hybrid. it's also got a selection of amp models such as ac15, ac30, tweed 4X10(like a fender bassman) and there are others. it sounds quite crunchy like a marshall. i like the ac30 setting the best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts