The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is asked a lot with different parameters but I am interested in opinions.
(usually there is no shortage and I have lots but not on this subject.)

I have recently started playing my electric guitars again after some 30 or so years and I picked up a friends Epiphone acoustic and quite liked it. I have a '71 Yamaha 180 red label I bought in '71 but liked the built in pick-up etc on the newer guitar.
The question- What are some options on a good acoustic with pick-up for amp use for under or around $800 -1,000. I love my Fender Tele and Strat necks so a similar action would factor in.
I have not played any yet but will try a few out with your recommendations.
I would not buy without sitting with one for a while.

If you think used might get me into a better instrument as I have done with electrics then suggest away.
I am not asking "what is best" as that is very subjective but rather "what do you like and why.."

Thanks for taking any time .
I will post back with any decisions I make.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I like my Larrivee OM acoustic, and feel no need to upgrade. Made in Canada. Try Seagull in your music store. I have no experience but they have a good rep. Made in Canada.

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
I'm not real fond of the sound of most of the Taylors I've played, many people love them. I do, however, find their necks to be very comfortable for an electric player like myself.
Good point.

Hopefully there is something in the Taylor lineup that appeals to @Duffman for $800 to $1000

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I would look for a used Eastman, Alvarez Masterworks or Yairi. The Yamaha A.R.E. models are nice guitars too.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
349 Posts
YMMV but when I was shopping for my acoustic years ago I tried pretty much everything in the 5-600 range at Steve's, and the Norman B20 I wound up buying stood out noticeably as having a bigger more full bodied sound than any of the others. Plays great, has Fishman electronics, still going well. Made in Quebec as part of the Godin family of guitars. Laminated back & sides make it less of an heirloom piece, but keep it pretty stable throughout our fluctuating climate changes. Still playing great & I still love it. I'd suggest checking those out - they still sell them at Steve's and I'm sure other places as well.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
In 2000 I bought a Norman b20 at steves on queen. Good guitar and has no structural issues. No pick up but that's easily fixed.

Two years ago I got a sigma dr28v new for 650 and added a K&K pickup which cost another 150. I got this one because it is a close approximation of my Martin guitars and if I accidently back my truck over it when I go somewhere and have too much fun then I ain't out that much.

Also have a 1975 ovation 6121-4 electric/ acoustic bought new. The pickup in it works best through an electric guitar amp which I think is what they intended bcs there weren't a lot of acoustic amps around back then. The neck on the ovation is very slick like an electric.

I'm interested in moving the ovation and the Norman bcs I have too many guitars but can't be bothered selling them. If yer innarested in them send me pm.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm a Godin fan for all the lines of guitars they make. Great quality, great price for what you get. I'm now admitedly biased toward that brand though. I like some of the Taylors and was very impressed with the 1 Larivee acoustic I tried. I consider them the higher end Canadian build. You can tell the difference too. All I really know is that you can get a really nice guitar for the range you have to spend. Use your ears and your feel. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yeah if you like the guitar you have the K&K is an easy install or one of the other p/u options that might be better that whatever comes installed on a not expensive guitar.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When I was in Waterloo a couple of weeks ago there was a used Taylor Gs mini-e koa finish for $500. If I'd needed an acoustic electric I'd have picked it up. As others have stated I find Taylor neck profiles connect easily with an electric's feel.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a thousand bucks will still get you into the Simon & Patrick "Showcase" series. Certainly a used one would be well within your budget - if you can find one.

They come with a dual pick-up system (under-saddle + sound board transducer) and sound great both plugged in and acoustically.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I don't think you can get any better than MIJ Takamine. They have been making the best acoustic pre-amps since the 70's. Stay away from the G series and find a good MIJ and it will be as good as any acoustic money can buy. Not to mention, they play and feel like electric's.
It would be pretty tough to find a better acoustic for the money than this:

Takamine ean15cx | guitares | Longueuil/Rive Sud | Kijiji

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not completely true. The Takamine G series like the GD93CE is great acoustic or plugged in. Bang for the buck , under $800 new, what compares to it ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your time fellas...I have a few suggestions and so it is time to visit a few stores and sit down and try to find one that speaks to me......

Cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts