The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to invest in a new amp and need advice on what I should go for.

Some bands I like:

Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, System of a Down, U2, Audioslave etc.

I already have the cab I'm going to use (Mesa 1x12, Black Shadow speaker).

My budget is around $3000 CAD, used or new.

Thanks,
JP

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I'd be looking at used JCM800's (50W) and a dirt pedal, but that's just me.

Edit: all the bands you listed use 412 cabs, and you'll notice the difference between your 112 (a good cab) and a 412 when you go try stuff out.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
You can probably get 99% of what you want wayyyyy under your budget, with a Dual Rectifier. What are they going, $800ish these days? I have one and love it, was my main amp - with a 1x12 in fact - with my hard rock band until recently....still own it, just switched to bass for that band so different gear. Went through A LOT of amps to get to that point, Fryette/Marshall/Traynor/JetCity/Orange and others too many to remember them all, the Rectifier was THE ONE for me.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
"What amp should I buy" is like "what should I have for dinner".

What are you using it for, basement or gigging? Channel switching? Hi gain, low gain, totally clean? You might get by with a $500 amp, or you might have to spend a lot more. Personally I'd be looking at the huge range of current Mesa mini-heads, if a pair of EL84's will work. But that's me. You might want to look at Marshall and all of it's clones (Friedman, Metro, etc) or Fender / clones (Victoria, etc) or Vox (Matchless, TopHat, etc). There's a lot of variety out there - you will probably have to narrow it down a wee bit.

If you just want to spend a lot of money on an amp, that's a different question. I'd say TrainWreck or Dumble. Go big or go home.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
There's a guy in Nova Scotia selling brand new Plexi clones.
Does he have a warranty? Is he a legitimate business so that there's at least the possibility of recourse if something goes sideways? I'd be ordering a Ceriatone before someone doing it for fun, unless I was paying a friend to build a pre-fab'd kit.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Does he have a warranty? Is he a legitimate business so that there's at least the possibility of recourse if something goes sideways? I'd be ordering a Ceriatone before someone doing it for fun, unless I was paying a friend to build a pre-fab'd kit.
I'm not sure. I've never looked into it much, as I'm not a Marshall guy (...yet). The photos I've seen of his builds look very well done though.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I am looking to invest in a new amp and need advice on what I should go for.

Some bands I like:

Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, System of a Down, U2, Audioslave etc.

I already have the cab I'm going to use (Mesa 1x12, Black Shadow speaker).

My budget is around $3000 CAD, used or new.

Thanks,
JP
There's a used CAA - PT100 in the emporium which is the Pete Thorn signature of the OD100 which will cover every base really well including high gain. Killer OD and clean tones. I had the OD50 and it ranks as one of my all time favorite amps. The FX loop is very friendly and has its own dedicated master volume that allows you to play at lower volumes.

Great price and a lot of bang for the buck.

FS/FT: - Suhr CAA PT-100

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I'm not sure. I've never looked into it much, as I'm not a Marshall guy (...yet). The photos I've seen of his builds look very well done though.
I believe it is probably done at least reasonably well. But that doesnt offer the buyer any real protection once the sale is done. When its a known product the "what if" aspect is usually greatly reduced.

I stick by my vintage marshall + pedal.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
There's a used CAA - PT100 in the emporium which is the Pete Thorn signature of the OD100 which will cover every base really well including high gain. Killer OD and clean tones. I had the OD50 and it ranks as one of my all time favorite amps. The FX loop is very friendly and has its own dedicated master volume that allows you to play at lower volumes.

Great price and a lot of bang for the buck.

FS/FT: - Suhr CAA PT-100
If I were in the market looking at high end I'd be all over this too.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I concur. The CAE PT-100 seems ideal for what the OP seems to want.
But Dual Rec would fit the bill, too. Can't go wrong with either.

·
Read Only
128 Posts
Had a TON of high end amps (and still have one). IMHO you can grab a DSL or 800 and pedals, Dual Recto or 5153 used and get the job done very well for well under $3000.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts