The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a 1963 Fender Deluxe amp, the grill cloth has some fairly minor stains (probably from spilled beer) plus the accumulated grime from having never been cleaned in the last 44 years. I bought it new and in all other respects it is immaculate. Does anyone out there know of a totally safe way to clean it? I'm afraid to try in case I make it worse. Suggestions???

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Shad
check RBrians thread on the Fender 70's princton...I asked the same question and his reply is there.
By the way, thanks RBrian
cheers
RIFF

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I just finished a 1966 Ampeg. I used a combination of spraying (from a good distance so it doesn't get to the speaker) an all purpose cleaner/degreaser (meangreen, fantastic, etc...) and using a large soft bristle brush (like what you would use on a wood floor). spray and scrub. get it all up. Wipe it down with a damp rag (rinse that regularly, that's what is picking up the grime). Depending on the grill, you will have to do this a few times, but it's non-evasive and it worked well on a 40 year old amp with bad stains. Now it is silver and even again. Plus the same method worked on the tolex.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks LowWatt, I was hoping there was some product you could spray on and vacuum off when it dries. I've had bad luck trying to scrub out upholstery stains so I'm just kind of leery about using the scrubing method on this baby!! Anyway if no other option comes in, I'll give it a try. I wonder if you can replace the grill cloth without affecting the value of the amp?

Riff, I can't believe I never saw your post on this, I've been wondering about this for a long time now. I'll check out RBrians post for sure, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts