The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok , here's the deal .

My girlfriend's parents are buying her little brother a guitar amp for christmas . They're intending to buy a line 6 spider 2 (75 watt ) .

Is there something a lot better for the price , or do I let them buy that ? Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
The Spider IIs are at clearance prices because Line 6 has now introduced the Spider III series to replace it.. Make sure they know this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have that same amp. I can tell you it’s capable of sounding good in the right hands….
It is however very frustrating for a new user (like myself) or younger user as may be in this case.
It takes a lot of Tuning to find a decent sound. If you find one save it to memory immediately.
Being a new user I was 3 or 4 hours the other night tweaking found what I liked… was districted and turned to find my youngest twisting knobs….
It is relatively loud and inexpensive given its features and can sound good in the right hands.
My spider II 75W was 260 the spider III 75W is 400 and there are very few of the II’s left anywhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
75W get’s over my sons drums no trouble at all.
The spider 3 is the same amp with more presets. Still many controls but hundreds (400 I think) of no brainer settings for different sounds.

At that price (400+ CDN) there must be better stuff out there. I only picked it cause it was cheap, loud, and saved me from buying a bunch of pedals.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I picked up one of those little Hartke stacks for $399 new, not a bad amp for the $.

Called the Piggyback, 2 channel, 12AX7 preamp tube, 4 - 8's, 60 watt, pretty darn loud actually.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
Ok , here's the deal .

My girlfriend's parents are buying her little brother a guitar amp for christmas . They're intending to buy a line 6 spider 2 (75 watt ) .

Is there something a lot better for the price , or do I let them buy that ? Any suggestions ?
What does the little brother want?
If he's been playing long enough to know what he wants, you should listen.

What is his age, number of years playing, musical style?

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
The Spider !!s are clearing out at about 1/2 the price of a Spider III.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jxoco said:

He wants the spiderII , but he hasn't been playing for long and never had an amp .
I guess I'll tell them to get it on axemusic , 270$ , free shipping .

·
Registered
19 Posts
jxoco said:

He's 14. He's been playing for... two years maybe, and he plays rock, punk, stuffs like that...

That's what he asked for, but honestly I think it's because Coustfan has a Vetta II. So, he wants a Line 6 too, because he likes him a lot and thinks he is cool as hell (how cute). Well, that's what got him to play guitar, so I guess it's the same thing for the amp...

My parents were going to buy a Spider II for 500$, so maybe something else would be better for the same price...??

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am from the same town as you are .
If he is been playing guitar for the past 2 years, i think at this point hes hookand likelybe playing again for many years .
If you are willing to pay 500.00 dallars i would try to pinch in a little more and get a fender. In my opinion fender are the best.Look around ther are some very good onesthat are used one or two years old.
If you go down to montreal steave music has very good price that are hard
to beat. I hate to say that but the facts are there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts