Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

looking for a tuner pedal, I have never owned one so looking for input from those who have used them before.

Looking at a Sonic research, TC polytune of a boss TU-3/TU-3W.

There seems to lots of used boss TU-3's on the market, is that because they are not great or just really popular?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Ive had and heavily gigged a Polytune v1 for over 7 years and the only issue is with is the plastic cover of the display got loose, other than that it's still super accurate. Next time I need a tuner I'll buy a Snark or the Polytune for headstock.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
TC Poly

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I had a Polytune and got rid of it after trying the Sonic Research. In fact, the Sonic Research was so good, I bought two (one for each board). I found it far more precise and faster.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The Turbotuner is my faves too, it takes a bit of getting used to, great tuner.
I do have a Polytune v1 on the big board at home, still going strong.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
For playing outside, I was a big Korg Pitchblack fan, but the Polytune is slowly replacing it. The strobe mode is great - and of course polyphonic feature is great when playing live.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Poly on the strobe setting is THE most accurate one. Simply amazing.
I have the Polytune mini and also love the strobe setting. BUT on the mini the strobe does this weird thing where the display isn't terribly helpful. Oddly, when you play the harmonic on the 12 fret, the display works great and is totally usable. And it's not just mine. I contacted TC support, showed them a video of the behaviour, and they even confirmed it on their own units. But their final response was that it was "by design" (to not work?) and "the close proximity of the lights can make it harder to read" (nope, works fine with the harmonic) and "get a full-sized one". Needless to say, not overly impressed with TC support, but I have gotten used to hitting the harmonic before tuning. I'm guessing the software has trouble honing in on the note with extra overtones?

Bottom line: If you want the strobe, don't get the mini.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks everyone, went with the Polytune mini 2.
I think that was a good choice. I love mine; simple, effective, small footprint. Unfortunately i just saw they released a polytune 3 which also acts as a buffer pedal. Not sure how useful that is.. I guess it depends on your pedalboard.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought my TU2 well used around 15 years ago, its at least 20 years old. Still works fine. I also use it as a A-Y switch sometimes for two signal paths. The few outdoor gigs I do, I use a snark.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why does this polytune think I am playing a bass? Or am I doing something wrong.

It works fine if I play each string separate but when I play all at once it only shows 4? It was working fine yesterday. I have disconnected power, cycled through all the different tuning options and switched to strobe and back.

??

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Why does this polytune think I am playing a bass? Or am I doing something wrong.

It works fine if I play each string separate but when I play all at once it only shows 4? It was working fine yesterday. I have disconnected power, cycled through all the different tuning options and switched to strobe and back.

??
Probably because it's in bass mode, read the manual again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts